7: The Climactic Donut Break

Location: Kara's Loft

Kara POV

I woke up many hours later, well rested and wondering how I got in the position I was in.

My head was rested against Barry's chest, where his heart thumped loud against my ear with a rhythm. His arm was wrapped around my shoulders.

I carefully looked up at him, he definitely looked asleep; his eyes were closed and his breathing was slowed to a relaxed pace.

He looked so peaceful, and it made me think about how I had never questioned how he was doing, I was so caught up in my own personal issues that I didn't ever even take the time to ask if he was okay.

I mean, whether I wanted to admit it or not, he had it just as bad as I did.

As soon as I was able to peel my eyes away from Barry, I realized that the sun was already setting. The sky was different shades of pink, orange, and as the sky gradually grew closer towards the sun, red.

I heard my phone vibrate against the nightstand.

Not wanting to wake Barry up, I quickly, but gently lifted his arm from around my shoulders and grasped the phone in my hands. I speed-walked out of the room and answered the phone, not even checking the Caller ID.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Goodness, Kara, we were all starting to worry about you, you haven't responded to any of my previous calls-" Brainy's voice started on the other end of the phone.

"Brainy, I'm fine, I was sleeping, remember?" I reminded him.

"Oh, yes! Right, I seem to have forgotten about that."

"So, what's so urgent that you needed to call me," I paused to check how many missed calls I had from him. "Eleven times?" I asked.

"Right! You might want to come over here and look for yourself,"

"Why? What's wrong?" Brainy had never spoken like this before, and it confused me.

"Nothing, nothing's wrong at all, Kara, just, please, get here as soon as humanly- or in your case, alien-ly possible," He hung up.

I pulled the phone away from my ear. What on Earth was going on?

I glanced back into the bedroom, where Barry quietly groaned in his sleep as he turned over on his side, facing where I was just laying. It was as though he had acknowledged the fact that I was no longer next to him.

I smiled, then looked in the opposite direction to the clock that hung on the wall.

5:38.

I was shocked that it wasn't later in the night; I still wasn't used to the sun setting earlier as the days grew shorter.

I walked over to the window, swinging it open at looking down at the city below.

The streets were quieter than normal; after all, it was still Christmas.

From my window, I could vaguely see the D.E.O. in the distance.

I didn't want to leave Barry there alone; I knew that after I woke up, he'd be quick to follow. Despite that, Brainy's call sounded urgent, so reluctantly, I walked backed into the bedroom and grabbed my glasses off the nightstand.

Not wasting another second, I pulled them on and flew out the window.

By the time I had made it to the D.E.O. only seconds later, my suit had already made its way around my body, my cape flowing behind me as I landed and walked into the building.