1: The Start

When you can fly, you quickly get used to the cold air brushing against your face, but the freezing temperatures this year in National City were still a surprise to me and everyone else.

The days were shorter, snow was falling, and Christmas was just around the corner.

Christmas has to be my favorite holiday. Though we didn't celebrate it on Krypton, where we worshipped Rao, nothing from another planet can match the rush you get as you hand someone a box wrapped in some cute wrapping paper with a silver bow on top. I am a superhero after all, giving is one of my specialties.

I hurried through the streets of National City, doing my best not to slip on the ice that coated the sidewalks. To my right, the museum where I had fought a dinosaur only a few months before stood tall with a banner reading "Tickets to the Phantom Zone 15% off for the Holidays!". To my left was the park, where the largest Christmas tree you'll ever see was covered in red, gold, silver, and green ornaments. The city was having me put the star on top of the tree on Christmas Eve.

The day was spent at CatCo, feeling the wrath of Andrea Rojas, because heaven forbid I was 10 minutes late. I was using my X-Ray vision to help a little boy find his white bunny rabbit in the snow. It's name was Hopper. Finally, after almost 12 hours of working, I was finally at home. That was, until Nia texted. My phone buzzed. I picked it up, and there was a text from Nia that said, "Are we still going ice skating at 9?" I looked at the clock on the wall. It was 8:55. I quickly responded with a "Yeah" and sped (literally) into my bedroom where I got on some warm and comfy clothes. With 3 minutes to spare, I grabbed my ice skates and ran out the door. As I made it to the outdoor ice skating center, Nia was standing there with a smile on her face.

"You forgot again, didn't you?" She laughed. I slowly nodded, and we both laughed it off. We picked 9 o' clock because all the young kids would be gone, which would give us more space to do what we do best: be crazy.

After 3 hours of pretending to be professional ice skaters, the final workers were leaving. One of the employees stopped us. "Excuse me ladies, but we closed 10 minutes ago." We looked at each other and laughed before leaving, leaving a confused look on the man's face.

"Did you see his face?" We were still laughing about it after we went back to my apartment, drinking hot chocolate and watching Christmas movies. There was a pause where we sat and watched the movie, until it went to the commercial break.

"So, how are things with Brainy?" I ask her. I smile as her face turns red. "Great, except for the fact that I told him my favorite holiday was Christmas. He hacked into my phone, and now each time a new hour begins, a different Christmas song blasts through my phone." She says, though she still holds a sweet smile on her face. Her phone begins playing Santa Claus is Coming to Town. She sighs. "Case in point. I mean, I still love him, though. He always goes to the furthest extents to make me happy." She continues.

I could feel my smile loosen a bit as a wave of jealousy crashed through me. Not because I was in love with Brainy or anything, but I just wanted what they have. I hadn't seen anyone for 3 years. I was still waiting for Mon El, and the only thing that could change that would be a new man walking into my life that was 10 times the man he ever was, which would be a very difficult task. 

Everyone in my life was finding true love, and then there was me, flying around all day saving strangers, and for most of that time, doing it in what Red Daughter would've called a cheerleader skirt. Pants were a great step up.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Nia asked me as she notices that I wasn't smiling like I was before. "Nothing, it's just getting kind of late, I should probably head to bed." I responded nonchalantly. She nods and stands up from the couch. "Okay, well, goodnight Kara." She said before grabbing her purse, coat, and walking out the door.

I hadn't realized that I had been so tired until the front door shut, because just as I heard the commercial break end, I laid my head back on the couch and I was out like a light.

Tomorrow was Saturday, which meant that I didn't have to go to my "real" job, and I could spend the day at the D.E.O. with my kick-ass sister and Brainiac 5.

No more Andrea.

No more useless glasses.

No more love issues.

Or so I hoped.