- 𝟑𝟏 -

L R C

"I used to be mad but now I know
Sometimes it's better to let someone go"
Older - Sasha Sloan

"Alright everything looks good to me. Your tires seem good, I think it'll be a smooth drive from here to Salt Lake City." Corbyn says as he walks inside from the garage. I look up at him as he joins me in the kitchen as I finish up the rest of my breakfast. Technically it's brunch now since we spent all morning fixing and final touches before I hit the road.

"I still can't see why you won't take a plane there. The safer you'll get there and the faster you'll find your dad." he tells me.

I look at him with a smile, appreciating his concern. "I can't afford a plane ticket now, you know that." I say. He puts down his glass of orange juice and shoots me a look. "Yeah I know, but I could get you a ticket right now if you want." he offers for the 3rd time this morning.

"No no, you've already done enough." I tell him. Him just being here is more than enough for me. I must admit, it was a little nerve wracking thinking about seeing my dad in the first place. But it's the least I could do after all these years right? Plus, I wouldn't want to spend any more time not seeing him or having any more regrets. "Besides, if Maggie can drive from here to Canada, it shouldn't be a big deal right? Also, I heard that driving is good for the brain."

"Yeah but driving for 10 hours isn't exactly good for you either. Just promise me that if you get tired you stop somewhere and rest. I'd just like you to come back in one piece." he says as he puts his dishes away in the sink. I walk over to him by the sink and put my hand on his shoulder.

"You worry too much Matthew." I tease. He takes my dishes and rinses them quickly for me. "I just care okay? What's so wrong with that." he says defensively.

"Well why don't you just come with me if you're so worried." I suggest, raising a brow at him. He leans back against the kitchen counters, giving me a look back.

"I would if I could...but we're planning tour dates for next month so it's gonna be a busy week ahead." he tells me. Tour. I almost forgot that was still a thing. "But I do have something for you." he says as he walks into the small studio they have in the house.

"Oh do you now?" I giggle as I watch him quickly come back with a thin plastic box in hand. "What's this? Some sort of mix-tape?" I tease. He shakes his head at me as his cheeks go bright red.

"No," he hands me the plastic case that has a CD inside. "I know your truck doesn't have an aux cord so I thought you might wanna hear the new album on your way there." he tells me. I look at him astonished then look at the CD in my hand. "That way you don't have to listen to the same 20 songs on the radio for the next 10 hours." he says with a laugh.

"I don't know what to say. Thank you." I tell him, giving him a quick hug. "I already love it."

"You haven't even heard anything yet." he giggles. I look at him in the eye with a smile on my face, "I don't have to. I already love everything about it." I say as I put the CD in the front pocket of my backpack. We walk out of the house to the driveway and towards my car.

I start the engine and throw my backpack on the passenger seat next to me. Corbyn leans against the car on the drivers side while he waits for me to get in my seat. "If you get stuck anywhere or there's a problem, call me okay? I'll be wherever you need as soon as possible just don't hesitate to call me. Oh and if-"

I put my hands on his cheeks, laughing at his rambling. It's nice to see how much he cares. "I'll be fine Matthew!" I laugh, trying to put him at ease. "And if something goes wrong I'll make sure to call my Fairy Godmother to send over a carriage or something." I say jokingly.