Preview: Undeniably Claimed

-Luca's POV

Rubbing my eyes, I can't help but sigh at the amount of papers on my desk. Looking around the office, I feel a bit overwhelmed. How my father ever did this is beyond me. Actually scratch that, he had my mom. That is the only way he could have done all of this. My dad, Xavier Sanford, was a lot of things but the love he showed for my mother was unparalleled.  I have never seen someone so devoted as my parents were. 

Knock Knock

Pulling myself from my thoughts I run my hand through my unruly curls as the door flies open to the office. A smile makes it's way to my face. I get up from my chair walking over to embrace my beautiful aunt. 

"How's my favorite nephew been?"

"I'm trying to imagine how my dad did this for so many years..." 

His beautiful aunt smirks at him as she looks around the office. She walks over to sit down in a chair near the window and I follow suit. She looks out overlooking the city below. 

"You know the answer to that Luca. He had your mom."

"Aunt Cami, I'm afraid to fail. I'm afraid I will never find it."

His relationships with females are far and few in between. He can't find anyone who doesn't have an agenda and after some time just gave up looking. He wants what his parents have. A balance. His mother is strong and fierce when she needs to be but she is her father's serenity. His dad was hot headed but was also the only one able to stop my mother from committing murder if it called for it. 

Cami looked to him with a small smile tugging at her lips. He knew that look all to well. Growing up, she would get this look before she would go into a speech that eventually give him an epiphany... Now he just had to wait. 

"Do you remember how your mom came to meet you?"

He chuckled and dropped his head recalling the memory. "Of course, she saved me."

"Your mother, whom you never met before, dove off a pier to rescue a boy who would eventually become so much more to her. She didn't hesitate that day because she knew what was right."

"Well she looked at me like no one else ever did. I felt.. wanted."

He answered honestly recalling that day like it was yesterday. He may have been a kid but he knew with one look how much she cared and that look... he will never forget. 

"Your mother is a handful and never had it easy. She went through a lot but she never gave up. Between your father and you... she fought to survive."

"What's your point Cam?"

She gripped his hand making him lock his eyes with her. 

"Nothing truly worth having ever comes easy. Waiting and grasping it when it comes is most important. You aren't going to fail Luca. You just need your stabilizer."

He scoffed standing up going to stand at the window looking down. His hand running through his hair.

"You make it sound so easy. Do you not remember what you use to tell me about Uncle Theo?"

"Every relationship is different Luca. Yes, your mother and father are equalizers while your uncle and I... well we're like gasoline and a match."

He laughed turning back to see a grin on her lips. She stood up walking to stand beside him. They both turn back looking down the city they have come to love. 

"Just wait, I think your perfect match is closer than you think."

He turns a side eye to his loving god mother. 

"You truly believe that don't you?"

"I know it."

She turns and hugs him before sitting down something on his desk. He glances over to see a letter on his desk. 

"Aunt, what is-"

"Nicholas wrote you before..."

She gets quiet and releases a shaky breath. Luca feels his mood gloom. It has only been 9 months since the news of his death. After 4 tours, the gods finally called him home. He died a hero rescuing his team from a bomb that claimed him. Aunt Cami couldn't stand to talk about it for months and he knows how much she looked up to her older brother. She sniffs and straightens her spine before walking out of his office. 

"Love you Luca"

"Love you too Cam"

His words gentle as she leaves his office. He walks over to his desk looking at the letter. Nicholas became his confidant growing up. Always causing mischief but mostly learning a lot about military. Nicholas took him onto his bases and taught him how to shoot or the necessaries of hand to hand combat. His mother nearly ripped his uncle a new one when she found out about their fights. 

Not having the heart to read it just yet, he slides it into his desk... His hand rubbing over the surface of the desk before ringing his intercom. 

"Fletcher, come in here please."

A minute later, the door opens and his assistant Fletcher walks in with his tablet in hand. 

"Tell me my schedule for the day please."

"You have..."

His voice trails off while Luca continues to try listening. That is until a commotion outside makes them both turn around. He gets up from his desk and walks out to find Cami kneeling picking up papers that are scattered everywhere. 

"Ms. Andrews!"

Fletcher says in an accusing tone. That is when Luca notices beside Cami is a small petite figure. Her body is bent and she is trying to hastily pick up the papers. Cami shoots his assistant a nasty glare which instantly shuts him up. Going over, I bend down to help as the woman stands up trying to straighten herself. 

Looking into her eyes, I become hypnotized. She has emerald eyes that stand out against her vibrant auburn hair. She was beautiful. She had freckles coating her face and no make up to be seen. She was naturally a sight to behold. I couldn't tear my eyes away from her even as I saw the fear in her eyes. She drops her gaze and I didn't care for it. 

"Are you okay?"

She nods her head but refuses to lift it. I hand her the paper in my hand and she takes it with shaky hands. My girl is terrified. I go to speak but she quickly takes the papers and runs into the elevator. Her eyes locking with mine for another minute before the doors close on us. I continue staring at the door trying to process what just happened. 

A chuckle brings me back and makes me look over to my Aunt. 

"Told you"