How could we let this happen?

Start from the beginning

"So you did all that training?" Spain asked a bit flabbergasted comprehending the recent memory.

"Yeah, it was brutal..." Maria shuddered.

"Wait till we get to Aunt Sedna's form of 'training'." Alfred laughed out loud.

His other three siblings deadpanned with a death glare, "Don't remind us." They all hissed.

"What?!" He contained his smile. He knew how bad they hated their Aunt's training, "I actually liked it!"

"HOW?!" Maria raised her voice, "I thought I was gonna DIE!"

"That's what made it fun!" Alfred sent his signature smile blinding those who witnessed it. "The risk of death is what makes things fun..." the superpower narrowed his eyes, his smile intact as a dark aura formed around him.

"I know what you mean, Amerika-" Russia stepped forward, "That's why I specifically enjoy fighting with you. You always make it more... interesting."

Everyone in the room shuddered from a sudden chill, except North America. It's as if they're just used into Alfred going into this state.

"Pack it up emos." Diego grunted seeming to not be fazed by Russia's aura either, "It feels like Halloween in here."

The others just stared at them in shock They weren't affected by such a strong aura, especially from two terrifying superpowers. It's as if no one knew North America properly.

That got England thinking though. How much do they really know about North America? Not only as a colleague but a parent. Everything they've seen was new or a surprise. How would they be able to keep large secrets like this? England has known his children for centuries!

Then again. How much do they actually talk. One on one. Like normal people. No business. No polite small talk. Just- talking...

It shocked England that he couldn't think of a time where he had a decent conversation with his children.

The only memories that resurfaced were-

Insults. Bullying. Ignorance.

No wonder North America was such a mystery! They didn't even want to talk to them! Everyone was always so horrible to them! They probably felt so lonely. England even recalled when their seemingly "close friends" would hurt and insult them!

He saw how they reacted to the sudden compliments from everyone. It genuinely shocked them. England actually was mumbling under his breath about them being ungrateful for such praise. Now he knew. His children were young. The earliest memories of their colonial parental figures are probably full of hate.

It must've been so shocking to see any form of maternal praise after such a long time...

His mind flooding with these sudden connections made England feel like he was going to be sick. He placed a hand to his mouth and wrapped an arm around his stomach. France took notice.

"Are you alright?" The Frenchman bent down slightly to look into his fellow country's eyes. Everyone turned to see what was going on.

England struggled to answer, "I-I'm fine. I just need a quick break-" he responded in a quiet voice. Almost like a whisper, which was strange for the former empire. The man then swiftly exited the room. It only took a few seconds for France and Spain to follow. The rest just awkwardly stood there staring at the empty doorframe.