Chapter 12-The Exodus from Edoras (Edited)

Start from the beginning

King Theoden was deep in thought and the worry could be seen on his face. He paced back and forth.

"They will be three thousand league from here by now," said Theoden, "Eomer cannot help us. I know what it is you want want of me, but I will not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war."

Aragorn replied gravely.

"Open war is upon you, whether you would risk it or not."

Theoden turned on Aragorn angrily.

"When last I looked, Theoden, not Aragorn, was King of Rohan," he said with a fire in his eyes.

The tension sat thick. Salandiel looked to Aragorn from where she was leaning against one of the pillars. She could see the doubt creep into his eyes and even felt that doubt within herself. Was the king really choosing not to fight?

Gandalf's voice cut through the tension. 

"Then what is the king's decision?"

~~~~~

"By order of the king the city must empty," rang the voice of Hama, "We make for Helm's Deep. Do not burden yourself with treasures. Take only what provisions you need."

The people that dwelled in Edoras gathered their belongings and prepared to flee to Helm's Deep. As they all prepared, Gandalf stormed down to the stables, followed by Aragorn and Salandiel.

"Helm's Deep!" exclaimed Gandalf, "They flee to the mountains when they should stand and fight. Who will defend them if not their king?"

"He is only doing what is best for his people," replied Aragorn, "Helm's Deep has saved them in the past."

"There is no way out of that ravine," remarked Salandiel, "I have seen it and we all know that Theoden is walking into a trap."

Gandalf agreed with Salandiel.

"King Theoden thinks he is leading them to safety. What they will get is a massacre. Theoden has a strong will but I fear for him. I fear for the survival of Rohan."

By now the three were gathered in the stables and Gandalf had gone to prepare his horse, Shadowfax, for departure. He turned to Salandiel and Aragorn. 

"Theoden will need you both before the end," said Gandalf, "The people of Rohan will need you. The defences have to hold."

"They will hold," said Aragorn resolutely.

Gandalf turned back to Shadowfax and spoke mournfully. 

"The Grey Pilgrim," he said, stroking Shadowfax, "That is what they used to call me. Three hundred lives of men I've walked this earth and now I have no time."

Gandalf mounted his horse and looked down on Salandiel and Aragorn. 

"My search will not be in vain. Look to my coming at the first light of the fifth day. At dawn, look to the east."

Without a pause, Gandalf galloped out of the stables and into the wilderness. As Gandalf disappeared, Aragorn turned to see Salandiel's eyes filled with worry.

"I fear for their survival," said Salandiel quietly.

"Me too," said Aragorn gravely, as he put his hands on Salandiel's shoulders, "but we will fight to keep their defences up and their people safe."

Salandiel nodded in agreement and, without a word, they both turned their separate ways to prepare for the journey; Salandiel making her way back to the Golden Hall and Aragorn turning back to the stables to prepare the horses.