Chapter 16

After John's return, Elizabeth spend the rest of the morning with Micah, going on a stroll near the river below the camp.

"I'll have to meet Dutch in Annesburg this afternoon. Something to do with Cornwall" Micah sighted.

"This man again? Hasn't he brought us enough problems yet?" Elizabeth asked in disbelief.

"Yeah, it's a bit of a personal matter for Dutch now I guess" Micah shrugged, rolling his eyes.

"And how does he even know he's in Annesburg?" Elizabeth asked again.

"Bill said he heard someone talked about it on his way back after Guarma" Micah said, not knowing exactly himself.

They walked some more, enjoying the peace and quiet of the forest, before getting back to camp.

Micah left in the afternoon for Annesburg with Dutch and Arthur. Elizabeth was now helping Pearson with the stew, but it was really more listening to Pearson's drunk and desperate blabbering about their situation. She cut the vegetable as quick as she could before putting them in the pot on the fire. She then briefly apologized to Pearson, saying she as other chores to do.

A few hours later, Elizabeth was playing with Jack when she saw the three men returned. Dutch went straight to his tent, papers in hand. She then saw Arthur walking in his tent, sitting on his cot with a sight as he took out his precious journal. Elizabeth then looked around to find Micah at the hitching posts, brushing Baylock.

"How did it go with Cornwall?" she asked gently as she stood next to him.

Micah looked at her with a moody face. He fed Baylock a sugar cube before answering.

"Dutch killed him. We found some papers and shot our way out of town. Very discreet" he said with a sarcastic tone.

"And those papers? What are they?" Elizabeth asked, following Micah as he walked toward the coffee pot.

"Dunno. Something about some bonds. And others about dynamite" he said briefly as he poured a cup of coffee and offered it to Elizabeth, she took it with a thankful nod as Micah poured himself another one.

"You think it's gonna help Dutch in his great plan?" Elizabeth said, a bit mockingly in the last part.

"I fucking hope so" he said as he sat in front of the camp fire, drinking his coffee.

Elizabeth gently put her hand on his arm, looking at him with a warm smile.

"I just want us out of this mess" he said quietly as he took her hand in his and brushed it with his thumb.

"I know" Elizabeth simply answered as she leaned her head on his shoulder.

She noticed that lately, Micah wasn't bothered by those affectionate gestures in publics anymore. He just let it happened. Even when Charles came to sit in front of us with a polite nod, he didn't budge, except to nod back.

They stayed like this, silent, in this tensed atmosphere surrounding the camp for a while before Dutch called out Micah. He stood up with a sight as Elizabeth offered him an encouraging smile.

"Micah, I need you to look into this dynamite with Bill. Take Arthur too I guess. We are gonna need a lot of it"

"We'll meet at the old house west of Van Horn tomorrow" Bill said as he put his rifle on his back.

"Sure, boss" Micah muttered as Dutch went to speak with Arthur and Bill walked away.

"So?" Elizabeth joined Micah, looking at Dutch in Arthur's tent.