Chapter 7

On their way East, Elizabeth thought about those last few weeks. A lot had happened, a lot of changes too. But she was happier than she has been for months. It was thanks to the all gang, who took her in and taught her new things. But she also felt it was mostly thanks to Micah. Their meeting back in Blackwater, and then again in Valentine, it must have been fate. She always felt different toward Micah. She enjoyed spending time with the other members, she had a lot of fun with them too, but it was simply different with Micah. She could not quite explain why or how, she just knew there was something more.

As she thought of him, her eyes landed on Micah's back. He was riding a bit ahead, talking to Dutch. Yeah, definitely there was something more.

***

When they finally arrived, they were welcomed by Arthur and Charles, who led them to a nice little opening in the forest, by Flat Iron Lake. It was a bit warmer than the Heartland, which was a great change.

Ordered by Miss Grimshaw, everyone got to work to build the tents and arrange the camp. Everything was completed by the late afternoon. Everyone was lazing around, feeling quite tired after this hectic day.

Micah was sitting at a table near the lake with Bill, both of them drinking a beer. Micah looked at the lake and saw Elizabeth, removing her shoes and entering the lake as she held her skirt just above her knees. She simply walked in the water, enjoying the cool water against her skin with a smile. He looked at her a moment before Bill's voice interrupted him.

"She's a sweet thing ain't she?" he asked.

Micha simply hummed, his eyes not leaving her soft form. Bill understood that he will not get more answer from Micah and left to find some other company. As Micah looked at her, he thought about his feelings. It was clear to him that she was different than the other girls he met. Normally he would already have made some rude comment, or heavily flirt with her, because that is how he act with women. But with her, something was different. He did not want her to think of him as a creepy pervert or whatever. He wanted to get closer to her ever since he saw her at this party in Blackwater, but he thought that he will never see her again. He has been shocked when he saw her in Valentine. He knew that it was his chance to do something. And now that he got to know her some more, it was even clearer. She was truly a sweet thing, always smiling and being polite, even toward him. There was really something more with her.

Elizabeth felt that someone was looking at her. When she turned around and realized it was Micah, she gave him her brightest smile. He could not prevent his own smile to appear.

"Come here Micah! The water feels so good!" Elizabeth called Micah, waving her hand in the air.

Micah shook his head, his smile still on his lips. Did she even realize the effect she had on him? Probably not. He stood up and headed toward the lake.

"You like the place?" he asked as he lit up a cigarette.

"Definitely! I was so sad to leave the last one, but now I almost forgot about it already." Elizabeth laughed.

"Glad to hear it then" Micah answered. He saw that she was sad to leave Horseshoe Overlook, so he was more than happy to see her smile now.

"Get out of the water now, the sun's setting, you're gonna get cold" Micah then said as he raised his hand to Elizabeth. She looked at him quickly before taking his hand and looking down to hide her pink cheeks.

"My! Such a gentleman Mister Bell" she said quietly as they both walked toward the camp.

"I wouldn't go that far" Micah laughed. "Hungry?" he then asked her.

"Starving" she answered.

"I'm gonna go fetch us some food, I'll be right back" Micah said before heading toward the stew pot.