Chapter Twenty-Three

I kept the blanket wrapped around my shoulders while my body warmed up, rubbing the skin of my right arm with my hand, feeling the fresh scars underneath. The tattoo of the three roses had been saved, thanks to Shuri's technology, although it seemed to be missing pieces as the scars littered the ink. That mark seemed so long ago, when I had a normal life and normal friends. I could think about them without feeling anything anymore, and I didn't know if that was a good thing or not.

"Killmonger has the full support of our military. And he burned the Garden of the Heart Shaped Herb." Nakia said, standing close to T'Challa, almost touching him. I felt a blade of guilt, but I remembered the flower I had stolen and left in my room. There was a chance of replanting, if we ever made it out of this mess.

"Of course he did." Ross said with a shake of his head. We turned our eyes to him, even M'Baku who stood behind me, arms crossed.

"That's what he was trained to do. His unit used to work with the CIA to destabilize foreign countries." He ran a hand through his grey hair. "They would always strike at transitions of power...election year or the death of a monarch. You get control of government, military-"

"Our resources." T'Challa realized. "The Great Mound."

"Our vibranium. All my designs." Shuri's eyes widened in shock and anger.

"He will send our weapons all over the world." T'Challa 's jaw tightened.

"He's already started. He planned to ship me off somewhere too," I added, which just made the overall atmosphere ever more charged and determined.

"You must get them out of Wakanda safely." T'Challa motioned to Shuri, Mama and I while talking to Nakia.

"What?" Mama exclaimed.

"No way, I'm not leaving." I gritted my teeth.

"What about you?" Shuri jumped up.

T'Challa looked at me with defeated eyes. He knew he couldn't stop me from staying.

"The challenge will have to continue." He replied.

"T'Challa, we will not leave Wakanda." Mama said fiercely.

"It is my duty to keep you safe," T'Challa protested, hands outstretched, almost pleading with her.

"If he gets control of our technology, now where will be safe." Shuri reasoned.

"He already has." Everyone turned to me, and I sighed my arm throbbing softly. "He already had crates of weapons ready to go to the War Dogs. And he planned to send me somewhere too."

"T'Challa we must stay." Shuri reached into her pocket and pulled out the silver panther necklace. Carefully she draped it over his head where it rested on his chest. I smiled. He did look like a King.

"The Black Panther lives. And when he fights for the fate of Wakanda, I will be right there beside him." Shuri lifted her chin.

"As will I." Nakia stepped forward and took his hand. T'Challa was beaming as both Nakia and Mama looked at him with confidence. His eyes met mine.

"Oh," I sighed. "I suppose if I have to."

"Kwethiwe!" Mama exclaimed. I held out both hands in mock surrender.

"Mama, I'm joking! It would be an honour to fight alongside you again, brother." T'Challa reached out one hand and I took it, the warmth of his skin a comfort.

"I'm in too." Ross said, and every eye was suddenly on him and he stared back, clearly uncomfortable. "What? You're gonna need all the help you can get."

T'Challa smiled at that, and so did Mama.

"Are you done? Are you-are you done?" M'Baku interrupted and I rolled my eyes with a groan.

"M'Baku you are insufferable, you know that right?" I turned around and looked him in the eye. He snarled but his dark eyes told me otherwise.

"Could you give me and Lord M'Baku a moment, please?" T'Challa let go of my hand and gestured to the door. Shoulders sinking I followed Shuri to the door and Ross closed it behind us.

"I didn't know you and Lord M'Baku were on first name basis, sister?" Shuri smirked an nudged my arm. It hurt my healing bones but I only smiled.

"We used to be very close when I was a kid. I don't think you would remember, but I used to run away a lot. M'Baku would meet me in the mountains." The memories of that time were pleasant, which was rare, and I tilted my head to the side.

"But how did you leave without being seen?" Shuri leaned in, intrigued. Ross watched, amused.

"Hmm, do tell us, my daughter, how did you leave the palace without being seen all those years ago?" Mama glared at me playfully, but I still felt the same jolt of fear that had haunted me as a teenager.

"The same way I escaped Killmonger; the secret tunnel in the back of my closet." Mama's eyes widened and Shuri burst into shrill laughter.

"What! You have a tunnel? How did I not know about this?"

"Kwethiwe-" Mama started to scold me but T'Challa walked in, saving me for the moment. She pointed a finger at me and narrowed her eyes. "We will discuss this later."

T'Challa cocked his head and sidled up beside me.

"What did you do?"

"Told her about the tunnel."

"Ah." T'Challa grinned. "Good luck with that." He faced the group and looked at everyone, determination set in his eyes and jaw. With folded arms and straight back I gave Shuri a smile and looked to my brother for guidance. He lifted his chin.

"Ready to get our country back?"

Authors Note

Hi lovelies, sorry being inactive for so long, just had some personal things to deal with but I'm back! Short chapter today but comments are always appreciated!

I'll update again in the next few days to make up for not being here.

Stay safe!

~JJ