Chapter Nine

The next day I decided to go into the city.

I covered my face with a shawl, keeping one hand on my crutch and the other hidden in the fabric. I didn't want to be seen, but I stood out like a sore thumb and I didn't want to draw any, unwanted attention to myself.

I was, of course, trailed by two members of the Dora so really, it made no difference whether I covered up or not. Only royals got an escort from the guardswomen.

Everywhere I went, eyes were on me. Merchants and children and elders alike were drawn to my presence, and it wasn't a good thing. I hobbled over to a cloth merchant. There, on the table, was a shining piece of metallic purple cloth inlaid with teeny tiny pearls and embroidered wildflowers. It was beautiful, and handmade, and I wanted to buy some and have a dress made for Shuri, to say thank you for her kindness.

"This fabric is, really amazing. Did you make it yourself?" I asked the old women manning the table. She looked up at me with wide, frightened eyes.

"Y-yes your Highness," she stuttered. I tried to smile, despite my lips hurting.

"I want to get a dress made for Princess Shuri. How much fabric do you think I would need?" I said. The women's hands shook.

"Oh, I think maybe two rolls, just to be sure," she answered, her voice trembling less than before.

"Right, well I'll take four rolls then, in case I need more," I grinned at the women. She smiled back tentatively, and clicked her fingers at small boy who was folding cloth at the back to the table.

"Alo! Please grab the cart and carry the Princesses' cloth to the palace," she barked. The boy jumped and disappeared behind a curtain, only to return with a small levitating cart. Behind him, emerging from the curtain was a man, maybe in his late teens, wearing an ornate red robe and belt. His mouth was down-turned and brow furrowed, and his top lip snarled when he saw me.

"Mama, what are you doing?" he said, aggressively. Alo was loading the cloth into the cart and I was pulling up my sleeve to check my Kimoyo beads. I looked up in surprise.

"I am selling the Princess some cloth. What an honour it is for us!" the old woman said excitedly. The man pushed her out of the way, slightly.

"An honour? It is no honour to serve a colonising traitor. You are not welcome here!" he spat in my face, lips pulled back like a dog. The Dora behind me leapt forwards with their spears out, but I held out a hand and they halted.

"I may not be the princess you remember, or the one you feel you deserve. Yes, I am the child of colonisers. I left Wakanda to live with them. But never," I leaned in, eyes burning into him. He pulled back. "Never, call me a traitor. You will not be so cocky when you are tried for treason."

I waited for his reply. His eyes were wide open, and I could almost see myself reflected in them. Although he backed away, I could still see the contempt in his face, his fake smile. He hated me.

"Of course, your Highness. I don't want any trouble," he bowed slightly, enough to be polite but not enough to mean it.

"I'll have the money sent to you straight away," I said to the woman. She smiled and looked down, embarrassed. I nodded and gestured to Alo with the cart to follow me. I wanted to carry the rolls of fabric myself, but I knew, even if I could physically, the Dora would never let me. Royals just, didn't do such menial tasks. It was something I was still getting used to.

Wandering the small street markets, bustling with people and colours and heat, I stopped by a small fruit stand and bought a few large mangos, ripe and sweet. It had been a long time since I had had such beautiful fresh fruit, and as I ate one, the juice sliding down my throat, I felt suddenly at peace. I wished I could bring Steve here, to see and feel and taste all the things from my childhood. The thought of him made my chest hurt.