Chapter Four

I always got chills flying through the barrier, but this time was different, because my father wasn't flying by my side. My heart always raced when we flew into what seemed to be a mountain but was in fact a projection to hide our city. Nakia held my good hand in one of hers, and T'Challa's in the other. It was good to feel comforted, even though my mind was swirling with thoughts of two things only.

My family, and Steve.

"Sister Nakia, my Prince and Princess, we are home." Okoye turned around and smiled broadly at us.

"This never gets old," T'Challa said softly, and his eyes met mine. They sparkled a little, but sadness was nestled in the brown. I looked away, out the window, my chest rising and falling rapidly as my city, my home came into view.

It was magnificent, always had been. Things had changed, I could see that, in the years I had been away, but it was still a sight to behold. The glittering towers, the crystal rivers, the hordes of people that lined the streets, living their lives without a care or a worry. I had missed all that Wakanda was, and all it stood for.

When we touched down in Birnin Zana at the Royal Palace, my chest tightened. There, standing outside the tower was my mother, Ramonda, her face carrying more wrinkles than I remember, but still strong, a pillar. Next to her were a few members of the Dora Milaje, and a thin young girl, her bright eyes watching the ship with excited curiosity.

Shuri.

Okoye offered me a levitating chair to exit the ship, but I waved her off. Despite the pain, the best I could do for myself was to walk myself, walk as strong as I could in front of her. I hobbled out of the ship behind the others, one hand gripping the black crutch and the other resting in its cast against my ribs. Everything hurt, a dull ache throughout all my muscles, a grinding in my bones as I moved, but I gritted my teeth and carried on.

We approached them, and I looked down, afraid of seeing those fiery eyes, a reminder of that night when I was fourteen.

"Queen Mother, Princess. My comfort for your loss," I heard Nakia say. I glanced up, just for a moment. My mother didn't look at me, but Shuri did, her pretty eyes taking in all of me, her lips parted like she was about to speak.

"Thank you Nakia. It is so good to have you back with us," my mother said, her voice strained. "Take her to the River Province to prepare her for the ceremony." Nakia left with a Dora, lips tight. She cast a worried glance my way. My mother had not looked at me yet, and I didn't expect her to.

"Did he freeze?" She asked Okoye.

"Like an antelope in the headlights," Okoye said, a hint of laughter in her smile. T'Challa looked so done, his lips pursed. A chuckle escaped my lips, despite myself.

"Are you finished?" He said, irritated. He looked to Shuri, his smiled bright. It was a smile I hadn't seen in a long time, one I remember he used to use on me. Not anymore, it seemed.

"So, surprised my little sister came to see me off before our big day."

"You wish! I am not here for you," Shuri laughed, her voice light, bubbly. She looked at me, and I looked down. "I am here for the EMP beads. I've developed an update."

"Update? No. It worked perfectly," T'Challa said, cocking his head.

"How many times do I have to teach you?" Shuri shook her head. "Just because something works, does not mean that it cannot be improved."

"You are teaching me? What do you know?" T'Challa smiled. The way they interacted, the banter, the lightness, it was a painful reminder of what had been, and what could never be.

"More than you." Shuri countered, and I was rather proud. She turned on her heel, bright eyes locking onto mine for a second before turning and walking towards the entrance.

"I can't wait to see what kind of update you make...to your ceremonial outfit!" T'Challa called out. Shuri, without looking back, lifted her hand and pulled a rude gesture with one finger. I almost choked with laughter but composed myself. She really was like me.

"Shuri!" Mother yelled, without looking. Shuri pulled her hand down.

"Sorry Mother!" She called, but I could imagine she was smiling. T'Challa took Mother's hands in his, and I shrunk back, trying to look invisible when I stuck out like a sore thumb.

"How are you feeling today Mama?" T'Challa said, his pet name for her sweet in my ears.

"Proud. You father and I would talk about this day all the time." I closed my eyes at that. Would she ever be proud of me?

"He is with us, and it is your time, to be King."

"I will Mama," he whispered. There was silence, for a moment. A tribute if you will, to the fallen King. Then T'Challa let go of her hands and began to walk towards the tower. Head down, I started to follow him, but was interrupted.

"Khethiwe?" My mother said, quiet. I stopped and turned slowly. My heart beat like a drum in my chest. I had never prepared myself for this moment, because I never believed it could happen.

"Yes?" I said, unable to say Mother.

"Walk with me." It was not a question, but a demand. Unsteadily, I began to follow her as she walked towards the tower, her imposing figure large against my shrunken, broken self.

"It has been a long time, my daughter. Too long," she said softly, stopping and looking directly at me.

"There's reasons for that," I said, eyes unwavering. She looked down, her face downcast.

"Your father did not tell me about, what you were up to until after Nigeria. I admit, I was angry at first, but-"

"Is that all you want to talk about? Because I've had enough lectures already, and I sure as hell don't need one from you," I spat, my hand trembling and my crutch along with it. Mother did not look shocked, rather, tired. It came to me all of a sudden that she was grieving too, we all were. I was not the only one in pain, not this time.

"We have all made mistakes, Khethiwe. Including me, and your baba. That does not mean we cannot make then right." Her hand rested lightly on my shoulder, and the weight of it felt like tonnes.

"You know what I have done, yes?" I asked. She withdrew her hand, eyes blank.

"Yes," she whispered.

"Then you know I cannot make my sins right. All I can do is move on. That is why I am here," I said bitterly, not able to met her eyes. She leaned down, and her lips parted, the sadness and hardship etched in her face. I thought she was going to embrace me. I wanted her too. I wanted that comfort that came from being in my mother's arms, the sweet scent of her hair that made me fall asleep. I longed to sleep without being afraid of what my mind would show me

But she didn't. She stood up, shoulders broad, lips pursed.

"Go with you sister. She has been very excited for your return." Her voice was hard, and I lowered my head in respect I knew she deserved.

"Yes Mama," I whispered, and without another word I left her standing there, and I hobbled away, not looking back, because I knew I wouldn't be able to look away if I did.

Authors Note

Sorry for such a late update, New Zealand (where I live) has officially been in a state of emergency and lockdown for just over a week and things have been crazy! The good thing is now I have no excuse not to keep writing and updating. Keep an eye out every week for new chapters of Reunited!

~JJ