Chapter Five

Someone led me upstairs to the room where Shuri was being fitted for her ceremonial outfit. It had been ages since I last wore mine, and I was afraid it wouldn't fit me. I needed help going up the stairs, and my ears burned red with embarrassment.

The room we entered was light and airy, with a large balcony facing out over the city. As I turned, on the right side was a full wall mural, a large painting of swirling Wakandan patterns, splashes of colour and black and white, blaring. I stood, confused and surprised. I recognised the pattern, the design.

"You like it?" A sweet voice said from the left, and my head swiveled to Shuri, who was being helped by attendants into a torso piece of her outfit.

"That's, that's my design. I did that when I was like, 15," I said, looking from her smile to the painting.

"I found the file of all your old designs a few years ago. I thought they would make a good addition to the city," Shuri explained, gesturing to the window.

"How on earth did you get Mama to let you put them up?" I asked, turning painfully to face her. She shrugged, letting the attendants slip arm pieces up her arms.

"I asked her," she said simply. I let out a low breath, scoffing.

"She never let me put them up when I was here. Said they were a waste of time," I said bitterly. Shuri smiled grimly.

"I think you'll find she has changed. We all have," she looked down, and then back up, a new smile painted on her pretty face. "Come. I have a surprise for you."

She led me over to a table, where an ornate basket sat, covered by a piece of fabric.

"What is this?" I asked, leaning my crutch up against the side of the table and peering over.

"Its, what do they call it? A gift basket. T'Challa tells me we are quite similar, so it's a few things I like, that I hope you like too." She smiled sweetly, and I felt a rush of affection for her. The last I remembered, she was a skinny little nine-year old who liked to mess around in the tower lab, and now? She was all grown up.

"You didn't have to do this," I said softly, looking into her eyes. She didn't hold my gaze for long, instead looking down.

"You deserve a good welcome. Go on, open it," she urged, turning away while attendants slipped pieces on her arms and legs. Slowly, I took off the green fabric with my good hand and looked through the contents of the basket.

I held up the bottle of whiskey, its golden liquid shimmering in the sunlight.

"How did you know this was my favourite?" I asked, grinning. Shuri smiled.

"I didn't. it was Father's favourite, so I thought you might enjoy it too," she explained. I nodded but neglected to mention my slight drinking problem. She was too young to hear about that. Sifting through again, I pulled out a t-shirt that read, 'What part of Princess, don't you understand?', a hard-drive labelled 'MEMES AND OTHER SUCH THINGS', and a box of chocolates shaped like little flames. I smiled at that.

Then I pulled out a green box, small and rectangular in shape, and popped off the lid. Inside were a pair of enormous green dangly earrings, shaped like leaves with beads and small emerald gems attached. I held them up in front of me, examining.

"These are the most ridiculous earrings I have ever seen," I exclaimed, turning them this was and that to get a better look. Shuri's face went dark.

"Well if you don't want them, whateve-"

"What are you talking about, of course I want them. They're ridiculous and weird and I love them," I said, watching her pretty face light up again. I tried with one hand to take out my earrings and put my new ones in, but in the end an attendant came over and did it for me. I had forgotten the feeling of always having people around to willingly do things like that, simple tasks.