Now that we all have our own children, I can clearly see the mistake in our past behavior. It's because of that coddling and granting all of Anna's wishes that she grew up to be a brat. When she entered the 'rebellious' phase in her early teenage years, there was nothing we or dad could do about her. She no longer listened to any of us, she thought she knew everything and it was too late to make her see reason.

She made some questionable choices in her life, too many to count to be honest, and each and every time someone pointed it out to her, she immediately pictured herself as a victim and tried to put the blame on someone else.

That's why it was no surprise for me when she painted such warped picture of Lia and her father as she told us about them. She told us how poorly she was treated by them and how Tyson tried to turn Lia against her, blaming her for everything that happened to Lia. After hearing about what Lia went through, I can't say I don't understand Tyson's view. He raised Lia as his after literally pulling her off the streets and after few years suddenly Anna appeared and tried to take his child away. It's only natural he'd protect his child. As a father myself, I can tell with certainty that I would react the same if someone attempted to take my children from me.

Another burst of laughter pulls me out of my thoughts before Lilith skips happily to the kitchen, asking Emma for some juice then running back to the basement. She seems to be in a much better mood than before.

"Hey, Harry, what are you going to do about that Scott boy?" I question, frowning worriedly. I knew about Scott dating Olivia, the whole family knew, but we had no idea he was such a bitter little shit.

Harry sighs deeply, dragging his hand over his face in frustration. "I don't know. I told the girls I'll deal with it, but I really don't know what to do. The best solution would be to quit my job so the little shit wouldn't have anything to use against my Livie, but... where would I find a job that pays as well as my current one, especially at this age? I have my family to think about, Ethan, I have a wife and four kids to take care of."

"Three kids, dad. – Gavin corrects – You don't have to support me anymore, I told you that already."

"You can say what you want, but I'm not leaving my kids with no help. It's my job to provide for you and I'm taking it seriously." Harry rebukes sternly. Maybe it's because we're both the eldest in our families, but I know exactly what he means. I feel the same sense of responsibility when it comes to our family. As the oldest, they depend on me.

"I know it might not be my place to interrupt... - Blake intercepts tentatively – but I talked to Lia about this whole situation with Scott. She felt guilty about possibly causing you trouble at work, so she said that if you lose your job, she'll help you find a new one. From what she told me, there's an opening for the position of a head accountant at Tyson's company." He tells us, glancing unsurely between us all, as if dreading our reaction.

"Hold on. Lia said that she can help find our dad a job?" Gavin chuckles incredulously.

"Yeah..." Blake frowns in confusion, scratching his beard distractedly. "But that's just an offer. No pressure." He shrugs.

I can't help but shake my head at the young guy. "Damn, those kids are really something..." I sigh, getting a chuckle from everyone.

Robert glances at our dad when he sniffles quietly. "Dad? What's wrong?"

Dad only wipes his tear off, staring longingly in the direction of the den. "Our poor Lia grew up to be an amazing young woman... And we weren't there..."

"Dad. – I sigh – You know that if there was anything we could do, we would."

"I know, son, I know. But that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt to know how much our little girl went through without her family beside her."