Chapter 8. The Stableboy

Start from the beginning

"Didn't you hear what happened to his sister and Lancelot?"

Other voices joined in, speaking in mumbles.

Olivia gulped and stepped through the door, her brother widened his eyes as he noticed her by the doorway.

"Olivia..." He frowned as he knitted his eyebrows.

"Would you like to join us for breakfast?" Derek interrupted.

Matilda scowled and stomped on his foot as Derek grimaced in pain. She glared at Derek, who now knew it was best to stay silent and looked away from the girl as if she didn't exist.

Olivia lowered her gaze, did everyone hate her for what happened? She didn't mean for Lancelot to die, even if she could never forgive him for what he did she never wished for his death.

Matilda as well as the other knights got up and headed towards the door. As she walked past the girl, she froze and turned back around .

"I'm sorry what happened with you and Lancelot Olivia." She spoke sincerely. "The Lord seems to care about you a lot for some reason... and if I were to get in trouble again I don't think I would be as lucky."

Matilda and the others then left, and it was now just Olivia and Anthony. The gloomy girl sat down next to him and sighed. She grabbed a bowl of porridge and began to eat slowly as she sulked.

"I'm so sorry Olivia." He frowned. "Lancelot deserved to die, can't believe I was friends with that asshole."

Olivia said nothing in return and continued to eat in silence.

"Could you ever forgive me?" He pleaded. "I should have never left you alone, it's all my fault."

She looked up at him, she didn't blame anyone for what happened, especially not her brother. However she was still mad at him, she wished he had never invited her.

"It wasn't your fault."

She took her bowl of porridge and left the kitchen in silence so she could continue eating in her room where she could cry without anyone seeing.

After she had finished eating breakfast she decided to go wander around The Castle Gardens. Besides the huge library, the garden was her favorite place to relax and read.

She walked down the stone steps that lead to the garden, weeds had sprouted through the small cracks. The vast garden was surrounded by high overgrown hedges, in the center was a large cast stone fountain that sprayed beautiful water. Around the centre stood slightly discoloured marble statues, vines were growing beneath them, wrapping around the statues like hands. The serene garden was abundant in exotic herbs and flowers, such as blood roses and white tulips.

Olivia sat at the edge of the fountain, she placed her hand into the water. She could tell there was something magical about it, the way it glistened underneath the ethereal sunlight and how it felt so lively and warm. After a while of sitting, she stood up and continued to follow the cobblestone pathway.

Eventually she stumbled upon a small building that seemed familiar to her. It was almost inconspicuous, covered by a blanket of vines and weeds that hung over the roof's gutters. As she entered the building, she now realised it was a stable. She remembered when Lord Nathaniel brought her here the night her aunt was murdered.

It didn't exactly bring the best of memories.

The human girl grinned from ear to ear when she saw the horses. They were always her favourite animal. She remembered when she was little she wanted a horse of her own more than anything in the world, but her aunt had always told her that they couldn't afford to buy nor take care of one. She walked over to a light grey horse, and gently rubbed the its neck as it whinnied happily.