44 | Juice-coated Fingers

Start from the beginning

Then King realized. this was the Du Marais they were talking about. He didn't know them personally, but he heard a lot of tales of the power-hungry vampiric clan, mostly disgusting stories that no one from the outside knew if really true. Until their former slaves — now the Lykaios pack — got out.

Skinning.

Boiling.

Nail puling—

"It's a long story," said the alpha.

The two were wrapped in awkward silence afterward. Exclude the beats of the slowing rain outside, and they'd be in absolute silence. Kain was unmoving, while King felt disturbed by his thoughts. He sniffed, folded up, and hugged his legs against his chest, still feeling cold. After a few eventless seconds, he puffed his cheeks and blew through his slightly parted lips. Suddenly, he twitched when Kain clicked his tongue and scratched his head.

"Why did you go to training if you're not feeling well?" grumbled the alpha.

King narrowed his eyes and then planted his face from the crook on his chest and legs. "Because I figured you were going to be a bitch about it," he mumbled.

Kain heard it. "You—"

King's stomach rumbled. The werecat's eyes widened. He didn't dare look up, but then he heard a snort. He plucked his head up. "Did you just snort?"

"I didn't." Kain's face was straight as a line.

King narrowed his eyes. He swore he did. Kain just stared back at him too. Knowing he wouldn't get anything from having a staring battle with the alpha, King planted his head back on the crook on his chest again.

Ah. This is the worst.

After a few seconds, he heard a sigh and shuffling. King blinked, listening at first. Unable to hold the curiosity, he slightly peeked in the corner of his eyes, but then raised his head when he saw Kain walking to his direction. King frowned, feeling like an incoming storm was making its way towards him.

The alpha picked something up on the ground along the way. Then he squatted a few feet away beside King.

"I figured," Kain huffed while staring down on his hands.

King followed his gaze, and he saw a cluster of perky Brittlebush fruit on Kain's lap. He twitched when Kain looked up and reached out his thick tattooed arm towards him.

"Eat it," said Kain.

"... What?" King dragged out. He felt like his eyes were going to pop out. This was unexpected.

Kain looked up, looking like he was barely refraining from rolling his eyes. "I said eat it. You're hungry, right? I got it while I was looking for the leaves."

"Um..." Slowly, the werecat took the fruit. "Thank you..."

King thought the alpha would leave back to his earlier spot, on the mouth of the cave, after he took it. But no. Kain just sat there, watching him. King was stiff as a tree. He was used to angry Kain, but he wasn't used to this Kain!

The werecat averted his eyes, gulped, thinking what the hell was happening. Why was Kain still looking at him?!

Not wanting to spend the following moments in an awkward pause, King decided to pass his attention to the plump fruits in his hand and took one. It was hard, diverting his attention away from the man, whose attention was on him too. It was psychological.

Little by little, the frown on King's face turned into a grimace. He clenched his teeth. King succeeded in shifting his attention, yet he couldn't crack the fruit. The shell was hard, and his nails were short. Short nails were his preference. It was cleaner and easier to manage for him.

Kain examined the strain on King's face, then his eyes moved down, realizing the cause and problem. Emitting yet another sigh, he gently snatched the fruit.

King's shock and confused meter perked up again. Should he be confused as to why Kain snatched it? Or should he be shocked why Kain was gentle in snatching it?

Kain dug his thumbs on the leathery skin and cracked the green bulbous fruit open in one move, and King flinched when heaps of juice splattered on and around them from the impact. Despite the hard case, the inside of a Brittlebush was a soft whitish flesh. It was high on water volume; the seeds were black, hard and inedible, and the taste is tangy and bold, a distinctive sweet-tart spice that would go well with an empty stomach.

King's eyes moved up, discreetly examining the alpha, only to catch Kain lick the cloudy-white trail of fluid on his hand and suck on a juice-coated finger. King knew it was the Brittlebush contents, but it looked awfully like... He should have been disgusted, should have been repulsed when he saw Kain suck a no-doubt nasty finger. But why... did he think he looked sexy doing that?! Suddenly, their eyes connected, and King's inner composure tumbled out of the roof.

Kain noticed the reaction. "What's with you—"

"Nothing!" King inwardly slapped himself.

"Nothing?"

"Y-yeah."

Kain cocked a brow at him. And as if it wasn't enough of a shock, the werewolf gently placed his big-knuckled hand on his forehead. "You're still hot," he said.

Trying to dissuade the embarrassment, King uttered a small forced chuckle, and said, "Of course I am."

King received a hard flick. "Ah!" he held his throbbing forehead, "Did you just hit me?!"

Kain plopped down, propping both arms on his side, and emitted a small husky laugh that sparked an electric torrent and yet another disbelief on King's body. "I did," grinned the alpha, slightly tilting his head.

King was dumbstruck from his smile. It looked... different.

Suddenly, the rain stopped. Both of them looked out of their enclosure. It was still dark out, and the only sounds they heard were the whisper of the wind and the dripping of water drops on Earth. Finally.

"Hey," Kain called out.

King turned his attention back to the alpha. Kain was still leaning back, arms upright while looking at him. There was a small smile on Kain's face.

"... You know, I—"

"Kain?!"

King and Kain heard noises outside. They looked out again, seeing something, or more like silhouettes shuffle in the far distance.

"King?! You bastard, where the hell are you?!" That was definitely Bryce's voice.

A couple of hollers were made after that until Kain shrugged and said, "... Looks like we've been found."