16 (Part Two) | A Party to Die for

King placed a hand on Annabelle's mouth. He gulped when the vampire's head whipped up, its pointed ears jerking. Its skin was of alabaster-gray, body taut and tight like leather against its skeletal cage, withering red hair covering its scalp. It was a female.

King stilled, hugging the trembling child against him in a tight grip as a measure to comfort her... and silence her.

The vampire's head swooped around, blood coating its sharp, distorted teeth. Its face curled into a snarl, before it climbed the wall, disappearing from King's limited view, much to his horror.

King pursed his lips, containing his heavy breaths and that sweet curse that threatened to escape out of his mouth. His heart throbbed violently, and sweat covered his cold, yet burning body. He waited and waited, frozen like a statue. As he did, so did the vampire's screeches slowly disappeared. His heart drummed slower, and he felt relief rush into him.

King leaned his forehead against the metal frame of the locker, legs aching, when his feet slid, knocking over the mop and brooms that fell with noisy clangs.

The vampire's piercing scream rushed back, and with eyes wide open, King and Annabelle screamed as the locker descended on the ground, dragging them with it.

Annabelle continued crying, and King gritted his teeth as sharp nails drove through the top of the metal locker, slicing down and down until King could see the glowing bloodshot eyes from across the slashes against the metal. The vampire's lips curled into a big arched grin as it cackled a ghastly laugh.

As it finally ripped through, King grabbed what his hand could reach for, and with one swish, he drove the broom's end on its left eye. The vampire emitted an ugly cry as it trashed around.

Swiftly, King clambered out of the gape, plucked Annabelle from the inside, and dashed towards the opposite exit from where they came from. He tightly gripped the kid's hand on his side, who he kept his pace with.

The savage vampire clawed through its face, wings flapping violently, black blood seeping out of it while it tried to unintelligently get the protruding stick out of its eye socket. When it came off, it was left with only a gory hollow spot, which immediately grew into a fresh eye. It made a piercing scream and chased after them.

The two dashed around the unpainted brick interior corridors, pipes squeaking and searing hot on the walls, while their breaths came in small spurts. Sweaty hands swung back and forth like their life depended on it. King and Annabelle zigzagged through the area and open arches that seemed like an endless maze instead of the usual basement they had in mind. Then, they reached a long passageway, lit, yet gloomy, where barrels lined down in an organized matter till to the door on the end.

They kept running and running until they reached towards it when suddenly; they heard clattering and smashing from behind. The vampire trailed behind them, knocking over wooden barrels that it passed by, spilling overpriced wine for nothing.

King immediately slammed the door close, huffing as he placed the large metal hatch. But he knew it wasn't enough to keep the freak rushing towards them. With a grunt, he pushed the heavy glass-cupboard against the door, uncaring about the alcoholic beverage bottles—cognacs, brandy, and otherwise—inside that fell with it. They broke into pitiable shards of glasses, spilling alcohols of various sorts onto the ground.

King whipped his body around, eyes lighting up when he saw the small rectangular cellar window that led to the gleaming yard. Suddenly, death pounded on the door, so strong that the screws began to rattle out of its hinges. An inhumane growl bellowed from just outside the door.

"Annabelle! Get to the window!" King yelled as he grabbed and threw more barricades.

The little girl followed suit in a rush, though she was too small. "K-king, I can't reach it," she sobbed. Her hands shook as she, in terror, tried to reach for the high latch helplessly.