2 (Part Two) | Ghoul on the Loose

Toni Mahfud to represent Yusef

King watched the vampire and the werewolf, eyes unblinking. The pain in his body slowly but surely lowered down as his supernatural genetic patched itself triple than a human can.

Suddenly, a high-pitched shrill inside the car—beside him—startled King, and he yelled on his seat, pressing a trembling hand against his drumming heart. His jaw fell. He thought there was another vampire, but what he saw caused an odd mixture of comfort and stress. 

Pandora's skin began to flake and upsurge into a sleek pelt. She stretched out, allowing her feline to take over and transform herself into a female-built cheetah that tore through her shirt. She leaped out of the fissure on the roof before expanding to her max size.

"Holy sh—" King bit back his words. He became speechless as he stared at the tall humanoid feline at the side of the car, suddenly remembering that, yes, his cousin could turn into a large freaking jungle cat.

And it wasn't just her.

A moment later, King heard shuffling, then groans from the back seat. The cry turned into a grunt that then grew into a raucous growl. He turned to look over his shoulder, hazel eyes still inflated.

Bryce's skin shed like sand, rapidly replaced by a dilating brown-spotted hide. A brawny seven-feet tall leopard began to upsurge, crying out as it inflated the crumpled car like a metal balloon. Unfortunately, he wasn't as lean as Pandora, and he began to squeeze King into the corner — much to the latter's horror.

"Would you guys say something before you do that!" King screamed as Bryce's enormous mass of fat kept pushing him out. He continuously tapped on his emerging soft brown pelt. "Bryce! You idiot!"

Bryce ripped the metal ceiling like it was cloth. Then he squeezed himself out through the gape above, causing a tiny shriek from King when he accidentally stepped onto the trunk of the car and tilted the vehicle alarmingly high.

"Bryce," Pandora snarled, hinting the car.

Bryce was gawking at his brawny arms when he was reprimanded. It had been too long since he had last shifted, so he was really excited to see how his werecat form turned out to be. Not that it was a time to be with their present situation. He turned his eyes down, seeming to realize his action when he pulled his leg from on top of the trunk. The car slammed back flat on the dirt. 

"Sorry," was the only word he could think of.

King's world was spinning, or he was just probably dizzy when he had his face slammed for the second time against the dashboard. He wanted to punch Bryce.

"Get on Bryce, King," Pandora sent through the link. Oddly for King, who couldn't shift, he could still hear them. Pandora surveyed the two other monsters fighting in the distance. She knew they needed to move quickly, or else if not, that's up to their fate to decide.

"A'ight, princess," Bryce said. He grabbed the car and drew his other hand back in, plucking King up like he was a huge lightweight glaring barbie doll. Bryce was, nevertheless, careful not to touch King's injured leg as he settled him on his shoulder like how a dad would do to his kid. "Hold on tight."

"Shut up, Bryce," King grumbled, gently massaging his nose. Even if he looked like he wanted to protest, he still grabbed hold of his cousin's fur in retort. The other half of him was digging it — the fuzz.

"We need to leave. Now," Pandora alarmed them. Bryce kicked the car out of the way, emitting a loud screech as the metal grated against the bits of rocks and woods on the ground. Pandora shook her head.

"Way to make things discreet, Bryce," King puffed out.

"Sorry. Just testing out this body," he said, sounding like he was more proud than apologetic.

"Let's go—"

Ere long they could move, a bloodcurdling cry made their heads turn back at the two other creatures. The vampire was slammed on the ground. And when it tried to rise, the other beast seized its neck. The undead howled in a high-pitched agony when razor claws drove through its weather-bitten skin. But then, something seemed to distract the werewolf. Its nose twitched and it seemed to sniff the air for a moment before it was countered and shoved away by the vampire who slammed its wing on it. The undead scrambled up, sending a gust of wind again when it screamed. 

Suddenly, another creature tackled it, its pelt a tinge of red. And there was another. And another. They all rushed out from the woods. Until the vampire was caged in a circle of large humanoid wolves.

The werewolves snapped their teeth as they rounded the undead that had the stink of decay. In desperate confusion, the vampire swung its arm, razor talons aiming to rip through someone, but it landed on thin air as they dodged it so easily. 

Seeming to get bored from the playful dodging, the lycanthropes struck next, one by one lunging and slashing their blade-like claws on its leathery skin. The violent stance turned grimmer when an aggressive werewolf bit on one of the vampire's wings and slashed, ripping the limb off of its back. The vampire shrilled in pain.

King was speechless. This is brutal, he thought, somehow forgetting that the vampire had tried to kill them earlier. 

The undead huffed, skin coated with its own rusty blood. Yet, it didn't stop. It wouldn't stop. While it attempted its last effort to deliver a blow, the grey werewolf stepped up, forcing the others away. It grabbed the vampire by the neck and slammed it back on the trunk of the tree. This time, the werewolf bit the vampire's neck.

The undead began to have a seizure, small noises, and yellowish spittle shooting out of its mouth as it unintelligibly clawed at the werewolf who refused to let its bite grip go. The other werewolves, King, Bryce and Pandora watched as the vampire's skin sank to its bones before it crisped and withered into a pile of ashes. 

And then the vampire—or what was left of it—went with the wind.

The werewolves howled, their victorious cries vibrating throughout the forest.

"Did they just—" King couldn't grasp words. So did his cousins.  

Freed away from the central trouble, the silver-grey werewolf began to take a slow whiff of the air, locating the scent that was bothering it since earlier.

Vote | Follow | Comment