Chapter 30

I apologize for lacking behind schedule. My pattern has always been updating every four days; first day is the day to cool down, second and third are for brainstorming, and the fourth is writing day. I'm afraid that the next few days, especially nearing the end of August, I will be struggling to keep up with the pattern, since college is about to start again. Sure, it's only online class, but I'm in my final year. I will try my best. Thank you for reading!

Third person POV

It was only a matter of moments until dawn, but not one dawn seemed to be coming for the atmosphere of the people onboard.

Everybody was waiting for their eyes to shut while being consumed in sorrow, for their beloved chief had done a great sacrifice for his people and the dragons. Some had managed to sleep, but some were still struggling. Anna was one of the few who struggled.

Her loss had overshadowed her exhaustion, her need to rest, so much, that she decided that it would be better for her to simply stare at the view on the poop deck after having cried for hours. She rested her elbows by the railing, looking blankly at the west, the direction of what used to be New Berk, which was now a volcano that recently had been triggered. The view was mostly dark. Anna thought that she would've seen a sea of stars after several hours cruising away from Berk, but the same clouds still hovered up above, though they're no longer pouring down rain. With the very minimum next-to-nonexistent lighting, the people onboard had to put torches on several spots on the deck.

The thoughts of their relationship popped in her mind. It had lasted only for a couple of days. Of course, Anna would've very much preferred the idea of having it last for as long as she would've liked, but the universe seemed to have planned something else for her. For this, hatreds began to build inside her; hatreds for anything or anybody out there who had planned this to happen.

'Ugh... why bother... it's not worth it...' she thought.

The queen clicked her tongue, which attracted the attention of a lady who happened to be in the same fate as she was; Valka. Being unable to sleep, she wandered around the deck and noticed the presence of Anna. The Berkian made a gentle approach to the queen. "Can't sleep, Anna?"

Anna turned to her. "Oh, Valka. No, I can't."

Valka joined her by her side. "Are you okay?"

The Arendellian looked down, pouting. "I really want to say that I am... I really do..."

"Awh..." The mother pulled her into a hug with an arm briefly, which Anna welcomed with the same move. Pulling away, Anna returned to stare at the water.

"I wish I had said something before we separated, something that he would've liked to hear coming from me," Anna shook her head. "The second time we got separated, and a mountain size dragon blindly charged at him," she turned to Valka. "I specifically requested to him to stick together before we started the raid."

Valka processed her statement. "I mean no offence, but if there's dragon rider who can take down a Red Death, and a Bewilderbeast, as it happened, it's him. He always had his ways."

Anna was denial to the response. Her expression screamed her opinion that Hiccup was better off sticking together with the team, and Valka noticed this.

"By all means, I dearly wish for a better ending. I lost my son, and my fellow Berkians, and my husband before that," Valka looked down. "Truly, I do. So, despite sounding logical with this and all, I share the same amount of sorrow with you, Anna."

Grasping the queen by the shoulder, Valka connected a gaze to her. "And you're not alone. We are in this together. So please, use our company as much as you'd like before we get to Arendelle. Your kingdom will need you back on wholly, since we heard the news of Therondia giving your kingdom a visit, yes?"