June Chapter 29

I hadn't heard from Rory since Jay's accident

I had made her promise to call me when she got back from the hospital but she had never called. Can you imagine me sitting beside a phone waiting like some love-obsessed girl for a call? I honestly jumped at every noise my stupid phone made. At one point I put it on silent thinking that would make me stop acting so pathetic. It didn't help. In fact, I think I checked it even more. The point is, I'm angry.

I don't like knowing that my girlfriend, or whatever she was, was sleeping over at some stupid hospital fawning over some guy—which wasn't me by the way—that couldn't be bothered to care about her. So, by the time it hits the morning of the competition, I'm pissed the fuck off, so pissed that I don't call her like I planned to and demand an apology. I have a better plan now, I'm going to make sure that the Earth and Body Spa team gets disqualified.

My plan starts out amazing.

My team has gotten there long before the others, but just with-in enough time to catch the judges before the other teams arrive and notice what I'm doing. I go up to the only female judge and lay on the charm hard. I'm smiling, leaning in close to her, complimenting her judgment and hair and she's lapping it up like a kitten learning for the first time how good milk is.

I inform her about Jay's accident. I play it off like I'm worried he's going to try and compete even though he's injured and hurt himself further. I'm acting like I'm concerned but if she actually concentrated on my face, she'd realize that my smile has a hint of malice in it.

Honestly if I thought Jay was going to compete—I mean he might try but Rory wasn't about to allow it—I'd let the idiot do it. Not only would it guarantee Polished Elite's win for another year but I'd get to see that idiot make a complete ass of himself and watch him get seriously injured twice in one week.

It would be the holy trinity of embarrassment that I lived for.

She thanks me very sincerely for the concern, promises me that she'll look into it and then wishes me luck.

I take that as my cue to leave.

When my guards ask me why I was flirting with that judge for so long I say it was to get me in her favour. I don't trust Milo and Daphne not to tell Rory about what I've done. I worry that if I tell them they'll tell her. They've gotten closer to her since I've started dating her, almost like they're friends and I don't trust it.

I'm not surprised when the Earth and Body team are the last ones to arrive. I'm not surprised that Jay is there, in a wheelchair, his head bandaged looking like he's been sulking for days. He's being pushed by a beefy looking man with blondeish-brown hair and a big smile. Lacey's got an arm intertwined with this beefy man and I can assume that they're dating. That means that Jay is sulking for two reasons.

1. he can't compete even though he wants to

2. the girl he actually likes has a hunky looking new boyfriend who's nice enough to push his disabled ass around and can kick his ass even if he weren't disabled.

What surprises me is that Rory is the one who's bossing everyone around now. I have to do a double take once I notice it. My Rory? Being bossy?

She smiles almost apologetically at me from across the sand and waves to me. Part of my anger melts away. So she might have been at the hospital with Jay but maybe she had been thinking of me the whole time.

The judge I was chatting up approaches her and Rory puts a bright smile on her face. She answers all of the judge's questions, gestures to Jay every once and a while, nods happily and then signs the clipboard as if she were the head guard and was signing in her team like I had done at least an hour before.

The judge smiles and wishes her luck as well and then walks away. As she goes past me, I stop her with my worried smile. She knows what I'm after.

"Turns out they're going to go with their alternative," she says.

"Alternative?" I echo.

"Yes, that nice young lady over there," she says and points at Rory who's noticed right away that we're talking and has a narrowed look of distrust on her face. I know right away that she doesn't believe at all that I'm cheating on her, she knows I'm schmoozing to get my team a head. This time when she waves its sarcastically. It a smug sort of I just caught you sort of smile.

I thank the judge and smile at my girlfriend... or whatever she is...

Well, this just got awkward.