Chapter 22: Busted

Shuichi came back to the house after shopping. He was surprised, to say the least, that there were police knocking on his door. "Shit... did they call the cops?"

"Uh, can I help you?" Shuichi asked. The two turned. "Are you Shuichi Saihara?" One of them asked. Shuichi nodded. "We're looking for a Kokichi Ouma, and according to our sources, you were the last one to see him. We'd just like to ask you some questions." She said. "Ah, ok. Let me unlock the door." Shuichi said. He hoped that Lady Luck was on his side, and that the two wouldn't want to look around. The female officer nodded, and the two moved out of Shuichi's way.

Shuichi unlocked the door, and held it open for the two. "Sorry for the mess, I wasn't expecting anyone to come over." Shuichi apologized. "That's right. Act innocent." He thought. The three of them walked in, with Shuichi shutting the door behind them. "Here, sit on the couch." Shuichi gestured to the couch. The two officers obliged. Shuichi sat on a chair. "So, what questions did you have for me?"

Kokichi was tied up again in Shuichi's room. Shuichi had tied him up while he was sleeping, and had left to get food. He heard people knocking, and then the door open. "Am... I going to be rescued?" Kokichi wondered hopefully. He decided to start trying to take off the tape again.

"So, when's the last time you saw Kokichi?" One of the officers asked. Shuichi thought for a moment. "Hm, it was after school, about four days ago. I invited him to come over, which he did. We hung out for awhile, then he left. That's the last I saw of him." Shuichi lied. "Do you know where he was headed?" The female asked. "Probably to his house." Shuichi answered. "Did you see anything suspicious?" The other asked. Shuichi shook his head. They started writing some things down in a notebook. "Let's start the theatrics."

Shuichi sniffled. The female officer looked up. "You'll find him, right? I've been really worried...." The female nodded. "Of course." The other officer put his notebook away. "Shuichi. Kokichi's friend Maki called us, and told us she suspected that you're the one who kidnapped him." They said bluntly. "That was a really blunt way to tell him, Yamato." The female sighed. Yamato shrugged. "I don't see how it changes anything, Kanna."

"I don't know why they'd suspect me, I'd never hurt him! We're best friends." Shuichi said. "Well, we've got to make sure. We'd like to look around real quick." Kanna said, smiling. Shuichi felt sweat roll down his face. How was he going to get out of this?

"Oh, uhm... my parents, they're in the middle of something important upstairs, so we can't go up there. Feel free to look around down here, though." Shuichi lied. His parents weren't even home, they hadn't been since Saturday. "Well, we're going to have to look everywhere. Apologies to your parents in advance." Yamato said, then stood up. "Let's start down here." They said. Kanna nodded.

Kokichi could barely hear whoever it was down there. He still held on to the hope that they would find him. He continued to struggle to try to get the tape off his mouth.

Shuichi followed the two around the house, sweating buckets. They had nearly finished checking the downstairs. He needed to get them to leave. "Y'know, Maki has always hated me. She probably just wants to frame me for this...." Shuichi said. "Perhaps. But we're still going upstairs. If you're innocent, you won't have anything to hide, right?" Yamato asked. Shuichi fell silent. "Kanna. Let's head up." Yamato said. Kanna nodded. Shuichi followed them up. They looked at the bathroom. "Seems normal. Let's look at the room across from it." Kanna suggested. Yamato nodded. Shuichi's eyes widened. The room across from the bathroom was his room.

Kokichi could hear the people there more clearly now, since they were upstairs. It seemed as though they were going to come in. Kokichi's face lit up. He was going to be free!

"Hey, uh, that's my room. It's kinda private...." Shuichi said. "Don't worry, we'll just take a quick glance!" Kanna said in a reassuring tone. No matter how long the look was, they would still see Kokichi. Kanna walked towards the room, and turned the doorknob. "Wait!"

The door opened. Kokichi looked up at who was there. "The police! They found me!" Kanna stood there, surprised. "Yamato." She said. Yamato knew what she wanted them to do. They quickly restrained Shuichi. "N-No! Wait! This isn't-" Shuichi shouted, struggling against Yamato's hold. Kanna looked back, making sure Shuichi was restrained, then immediately went over to Kokichi.

She pulled the tape off. "Are you alright?" She asked, her voice serious, but gentle. Kokichi nodded. "I... thank you...." He mumbled. Kanna nodded, and released him from the chain. "Can you walk?" She asked, helping him up. Kokichi nodded. "Alright. This way. Yamato! Please handcuff him." She directed. Yamato nodded, reaching into his pocket to grab handcuffs. Unfortunately, in the time that Yamato released one hand, Shuichi bolted. Yamato chased after him, tackling Shuichi before he could reach the door. Shuichi kept struggling. "No! Let me go! Kokichi!" He shrieked.

Kanna stood next to Kokichi. "Alright, I'd like to take you to the hospital to make sure you're alright." She told him. Kokichi looked up nervously at her. "Is that ok?" Kokichi nodded. "Perfect. Also, what's your parents number? I'd like to call them and let them know you're safe." Kokichi told her his parents number. "Uhm, I d-doubt that they're w-worried...." Kokichi stammered. Kanna gave him a reassuring smile. "I'm positive they are. I'll go call them, you can go ahead and sit up front in the car." Kokichi nodded and headed there.

Yamato and Shuichi were sitting in the back, Shuichi looking defeated. He glared at Kokichi. Kokichi tried to look anywhere else than in the back, as he waited for Kanna to return.

Soon enough, they did, and they drove off.

《________End of Chapter 22________》

Words: 1020

[Since I had cops in this chapter, I just wanted to say:
I support BLM and would donate if I had money. That's all.
Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed, please vote if you did!]