Chapter Eight pt 4

All thoughts paused at the mention of the familiar name, and before Drokn could utter a word, the demoness grated in a menacing tone. "He's not dead, is he?"

"Of course not," the demon blurted, almost offended.

"Then why isn't he with you?" She loosened her hold before slamming him against the wall again with more force.

"How do you know him?" he finally asked, befuddled that the elf's name was known by this crazy witch.

"That doesn't matter right now! Go find him! Do you not care? You know what happens when an elf isn't near their bond, don't you?" At the confused and hesitant reaction from Drokn, the demoness groaned and rolled her eyes. "Of course that asshole didn't tell you anything about them. Listen, brat. Elves are creatures of love. If they're not near their bond, they feel pain, and in the worst situation, die." She noticed the change in Drokn's expression and smirked before finally letting go. "At least you fucking care."

"Wha—"

Without giving him room to speak any words of defiance, the demoness interrupted, "Is he still in elven territory?"

At that moment, noisy chatter started to spring out of the open streets, the voices seeping into the hidden space where the two of them stood. The topic in particular caught their attention as they stared to the side in concerned interest.

"There's an elf o'er there!"

"Is he tryna loot?"

"Imagine the shame the elves would feel that one of them came into our territory!"

"Ha! I've got to see this!"

The demoness glared at Drokn. "That's not Eial, is it?" His silence gave her enough of an answer, and her face contorted with rage. She punched him straight in his stomach, making him gasp and bend over in pain. "You brought him into fucking demon territory? And then left him?"

Drokn breathed in and tried to hurl at the demoness, only to pathetically be dodged without effort. With grated teeth, he tried to keep the small bit of dignity he had left and stood tall, staring straight into the demoness's eyes. "He came here, himself! And he'll be fine!"

"It doesn't seem like he's fine, does it?" The demoness grabbed the collar of his cape and brought his face close to hers. "Find him or I'll skin you alive," she threatened and let him go. "I'll stop more demons from leaving here," she said and drew a hood over her head, concealing most of her face, and ran off before he could respond.

Drokn clicked his tongue and in a frustrated roar, turned and joined the curious demons flying above.

~~~

In the meanwhile, the sinister demon who constrained Eial balanced his feet on top of the two crates Eial hid between. "If you're running away, seems to me like you shouldn't be here," the demon sneered and jumped between the space and grabbed Eial by his hair. "Elves ain't so high and mighty when they're on their own, huh?"

Without a chance for another word to come out, Eial used whatever strength he could muster to headbutt the demon, making the back of the demon's hand slam against his own face. Quickly, he turned his face at the loosened grip and bit hard into the demon's wrist.

"Fuck!" the demon yelled and let go completely, the magic on Eial also dissipating.

Instantly, Eial used the demon's head as a step stool to jump over a tall cement wall behind him. Hiding in the city only seemed useless among these flying creatures, so the best he could do was to find a way to run outside the city where he'd have less of a disadvantage.

On the other side of the wall, Eial wiped his wet cheeks dry and clutched his aching chest as he ran along the backs of street shops, the narrow space perfect for his size. The rain protecting overhangs briefly hid his presence, causing the demons to pause and search. Plans tried to cross and weave itself in his mind until a pile of empty glass bottles caught his vision.

["Those who pridefully rely on magic alone have too many weaknesses."]

The familiar voice from his childhood reverberated in his thoughts as he sharply bit his index finger and smoothly grabbed two bottles on his run. He drew a circle and then some lines with his blood on the cool surface before throwing it out onto the cloth rain protector above him.

"There!" The demons swarmed when they saw Eial standing on top of the overhang. Dark magic poured to try to capture him, but— none of them did. Their magic went straight past Eial and onto the surface he was standing on.

One of the demons glided close, and when she noticed the bottle with markings of blood, she gritted her teeth. "Damn it! He used an illusion spell!"

Glass to reflect and blood to imitate. Eial peeked behind with a fleeting glance and continued to run, thankful to his mild knowledge of spellcasting.

That's right Eial, you've always been alone. Nothing's changed. You've done it before, you can do it now.

His body grew even weaker, but he pushed forward with sheer willpower. With every passing stranger who latched onto him, he strategically hit pressure points to make them pass out or immobolize them briefly. Strings and waves of dark magic flew their way at him, but he pushed carts to defend and used the spell on his spare glass bottle to deflect. At any patch of grass he saw, he drew a spell circle on his palm with wet blood and stamped the circle on the grass. The grass grew into large stalks, causing the flying demons to maneuver around and slow their pace.

Beads of sweat rolled down his face. His hair was moist under his hood. And to the elf's despair, willpower could only feed him for long enough. He was growing too weak. As if the universe mocked his weariness, his only route led him to a wide open path where demons from all directions started flying in, throwing dark magic all around him.

Up ahead, he could make out the end of the city, where the rocky roads ceased and greenlife took its shelter. A place with more ingredients he could find for spells. Perhaps herbs to heal. A bush to hide and rest in.

He swung his arm wildly, trying to deflect much of the incoming magic. His run was more at the pace of a speedy walk. Only a few yards passed before the demons caught up and trapped the elf in his steps.

Eial slowly breathed in, feeling resolute with decision, and dropped the bottle. As if dancing, he spun around in circles and with as much magic energy as he had left, blasted his surroundings with air magic, knocking the breaths out of everyone around him and shoving them back. For a moment, there was silence.

Almost. There .

He pushed forward.

One foot. And then another foot.

His vision grew hazy and a single toned, high pitched white noise took over his ears, blocking all other sounds.

Eyelids closed and creaked open as he squeezed out a haggard breath.

He moved as if everything around him slowed as much as he had. As if his heavy steps could successfully get him anywhere. Until finally, his knees buckled and he fell, his body sprawling out against the dry soil.

Before long, Eial heard a yell and felt someone fly next to him. He expected to be pushed and contained in dark magic before being taken away. However, the being shook him roughly and seemed to call out his name before turning him over.

In blurred vision, he thought he saw his demon, his eyes wide and his eyebrows creased deep. He must be hallucinating. Or dreaming. Why would his demon be here?

With a frail smile, he lightly giggled at the illusion, placing a hand atop the one that seemed to hold his shoulder in a tight grip. In a small voice that could almost be hushed by wind, Eial whispered, "Don't be upset. I like your laugh more."

Eial felt the grip on his shoulder tighten and in his daze, he made out the figure of his demon swiping his hand, shooting large walls of dark energy on the onlookers before picking him up and flying away.