Chapter 6: Conflicted feelings

When they were just about to get into the car, Finn instinctively scanned the area around him

When they were just about to get into the car, Finn instinctively scanned the area around him. The sun was on the brim of settling down, it would get dark in an hour or so, yet the sky was still a murky shade. Finn wasn't sure if the silhouette belonged to Caleb. He didn't want to take any chances ergo ran towards it.

Arya tilted her head sideways wondering what prompted Finn to dash towards the woods, leaving the car door open. She stood staring at the white expanse of Finn's Georgian house. It was pristine and the location was immaculate; a house enclosed within trees of all sorts. It left her curious, as to what may lie inside.

With an annoyed huff, she speed-walked after him. She spotted him with his shoes in his hand, while treading carefully on the ground. He gestured to her to be quiet and to follow him. God, he's dramatic, Arya thought, rolling her eyes. She did as he bid. He was further away than her so she was oblivious to what was happening.

Arya didn't realize Finn had stopped walking as she was staring at her feet, and collided onto his back. Finn clenched his fist, she mouthed a sorry. It was getting dark and Arya had to head home, then she halted her tracks. She saw the silhouette of a person, and her eyes widened as realization struck. After walking torturously slow for about ten minutes, they reached a clearing whereupon they found a cabin. The boy went inside. That's Caleb, Finn mouthed. Arya felt numb, her mind ceased working. All she could do was copy the movements made by Finn.

They were sweating out of nervousness, Finn peeked at Arya's face.

"It's the same boy I saw yesterday."
"What do we do now?"

They started talking in hushed tones.

"Let's wait for a while and see what's happening."

Arya just nodded.

She was getting cranky. "We can't go knocking and ask him 'hey how you doin', can we?"

"Do you think we should check his school, maybe we can talk there," suggested Finn.
"Maybe", she replied.

***
As Caleb entered the cabin, a man that looked like in his late 30s strode up to him. He gently took a fistful of Caleb's hair and kissed his brow, lazily rubbing circles on his head with his thumb. He inspected Caleb's face with his calm yet rigid, grey eyes, brushing off the few strands of brown hair that fell onto his face. He's tall, lean built almost made him look skinny under the loose white shirt.

"You've been out long, everything okay Bud?" Michael asked him, with a skeptical glance as they went to the kitchen to set up the table for dinner.

"Uh yes, just felt nice outside".

Caleb had been living with Michael, his uncle, for as long as he remembered. He was accustomed to Michaels overly protective attitude which he tried to cover up with his casual behavior.