Just came from the restroom, sorry. I'm on the way.

Fuck. This is it.

The devil in the flesh.

After walking past the sea of guests mingling with each other, the Rodriguez family came into view. The three of them can clearly stand out from the crowd with the way they carry themselves. Their stance screams of power and authority, while their stares can easily make you feel unworthy of even being near them.

Santino probably saw me coming up to them so he approached me and placed a hand on the small of my back as he guided me towards the two figures smiling sweetly at us. Even their smiles were too.... perfect.

Too fake.

Too rehearsed.

"Mom, Dad, meet Alexandria. Alexandria, meet my parents. They're very excited to meet you."

Senator Rodriguez stepped forward, his gold tie still perfectly tied, and not a hint of crease from his suit jacket. His hair is already showing gray streaks, and the wrinkles on his face are either a product of stress or age. Nonetheless, his son is really his spitting image.

I can't believe I've officially met the two people who murdered my brother in just one night.

How crazy is that?

I heaved a deep breath before shaking Senator's hand and returning the fakest smile I could muster. "Good evening, Senator Rodriguez. It's such an honor to finally meet you."

"Senator? Just call me Tito Ferdie."

Gusto ko nalang matawa. I am meeting the man who had my brother killed, and I'm what? Shaking hands with him? Exchanging smiles? Calling him Tito?

The fucking irony of it all.

Kung pwede lang talaga, matagal ko nang dinala sa hukay ang lalaking nasa harap ko ngayon.

Bumitaw ako sa hawak ko kay Senator bago ako lumapit kay Mrs. Rodriguez upang kamayan siya. Nagulat nalang ako nang hawakan niya ang balikat ko at binigyan ako ng beso sa magkabilang pisngi. Para siyang tita na nakikita mo sa mga family reunion tuwing pasko.

"My, my! So this is the girl whose got my son wrapped under her pretty little fingers, huh? You really are as beautiful as he says you are!"

I shyly laughed before looking down humbly. "Thank you po, Maam."

"Maam? Nonsense! Please, Alexandria. Tita Amelia nalang."

Santino just laughed at his mom's reaction before shaking his head. "Dad, Alexandria here is an avid supporter of your projects. In fact, you're both Economics majors, so I'm sure you'll both get along well."

Biglang tumaas ang kilay ni Senator, para bang naging interesado sa usapan. "Oh really? That's interesting."

"Actually, Tito, my college thesis was inspired by your Political Economy publications." I added. Kung kailangan kong magbuhat ng bangko, gagawin ko. I have to wedge my place into this family and make myself look as cunning and intelligent as them.

"And she was First Place for Best Thesis, Dad!" dagdag ni Santino, para bang batang proud na proud.

Senator's well rehearsed smile flashed on his face again. There's something about his smile that really irks me out. "Well I'm honored to have contributed to the success of your thesis. So, what was it all about?"

"I talked about Economic and Fiscal Policy Determinants of Public Deficit."

.....and how the macroeconomic decline of the Philippines is brought about by corrupt and incompetent politicians like you, Mr. Rodriguez.