"Nobody has to move anything," I say. "Is it something serious, Dad?"

"No," he responds shortly.

"It is," Linda says. "He's not young anymore. Nor am I. I haven't swept the porch in years. We've already done too much heavy lifting, as you know. Life was hard on us, and now our body's suffering."

Heavy-lifting? I feel my blood boiling. Another contraction hits, and I hold my breath for a few seconds. "You mean your job, which you got paid for," I say, putting my hands on the table.

She looks shocked. My father doesn't interfere. "My job?" she asks.

"You were my mother's caregiver," I say, challenging her with my gaze. "Or have you forgotten?"

She looks enraged. "Is this the way to talk to me?" she asks.

"I didn't know you're sensitive about your past job," I say. Linda opens her mouth, ready to comment, but I speak again. "I didn't ask for your help, anyway."

"But you don't do it yourself either," she says. The doorbell rings, but I don't move a hand. Ian's quick to get to the door and pay the delivery guy. We all stay silent while trying to eat.

"You said you had a job," Dad says, and I nod. "Have you quit?"

"No. I took the maternity leave," I say. The door opens, and Smith enters. He greets everyone and walks to his room.

"Oliver, was it?" Linda says and stops him from walking.

"Yes," he responds.

"Why don't you eat with us?" she asks.

"I—Uh... I wouldn't disturb."

"Don't be silly. Join us." She insists. He gets a plate and does as she says. "So, Oliver," she starts poking into his life, "What do you do for a living?"

"I don't work for now," Smith says, "except for Uber driving."

"You work at Uber?" she asks, and he nods. "Ian delivers pizzas," she states unnecessarily.

"I know," Smith says.

"Not much, but he believes he can look after everyone."

"I'm sure he can do what he puts his mind up to," Smith says, smiling at Ian.

"Thank you, man," Ian says. "Could you help us pack Mia's stuff?"

Smith stays quiet for a few seconds. "Are you moving?" he asks me, and I say nothing. I don't know what I am doing, but I nod. "Sure," he says to Ian. "When are you going?"

"Tomorrow," Ian says.

"Oh! Wow. Let's get to it then."

I ask my dad and Linda to stay put as Oliver comes to my room to help me. Ian decides to get a few boxes and leaves the house. Smith's quietly folding my clothes, and I'm looking for the important stuff in my drawers. I come across a picture I have tried to avoid for a long time;

A woman with hazel eyes and black hair is in the picture, hugging a girl.

The woman is my mother. She looks healthy, hugging me before going to her first chemotherapy. I almost forgot her face and how she looked, but this morning, I saw her vividly in my dream. She looked a little paler than in this photo. I wish I could dream of her in better situations.

"Would you read them, or should I leave them here?" Smith asks, and I turn to see he's holding some books.

"I have too much stuff," I say. "I'll come back once again to get the rest."