A Walk

I walked behind Jane through the hallway. I was ecstatic! This would be the first time I went outside since I came here. Jane was walking at a slower pace, so I could keep up with her easily. I can't believe she was letting me do this. I don't think I give her enough credit.

Jane unlocked the door, and I breathed in the fresh air. Jane pulled up her hood and stepped outside, I followed closely behind her.

"Okay where to now?" Jane asked.

"Follow me." I began walking through the various dark alleyways. I just hoped the place I was looking for was real. We walked for a while, until I found a familiar garden gate. So far, so good. I unlocked the gate and it swung open.

"Isn't that private property?" Jane asked.

"Probably." I admitted. She looked at me with wide eyes and I continued into the garden.

"Well, I see why you wanted to come here, it is beautif-." She stopped talking as she watched me climb the wall.

"What are you doing?" She asked. I ignored her and jumped over the other side of the wall.

"Walking." I answered. I heard a thud behind me and I knew she had jumped over. I walked along the thin path Jane trailing next to me.

We talked and smiled, as we walked down the path. Jane did not remove her hood. I wondered what she meant when she said something strange happens when she goes out in sunlight.

"So, exactly where are you taking me?" She asked.

"No where too far. I'm sure you'll love it." I assured her.

We walked up the hill, it was further than I remembered. Eventually, I made it to the hill top. It was even more beautiful than my dreams. The town of Volterra shined in the distance. The ground was covered with vivid green grass and flowers. A tangled willow tree stood at the tip. Its hanging branches blowing in the breeze. The faint sweet smell of flowers filled my nose.

Jane was frozen, her eyes dashed around trying to find something to focus on. I gave her a reassuring smile and went to lean on the base of the willow tree.

"It's beautiful." She mumbled, staring down at Volterra. I kept my eyes on her. "Yes, it is beautiful." I agreed. I wasn't sure if I was calling her or the hill beautiful. I couldn't decide.

I wasn't going to be scared of my emotions. Which was easier said than done, but I would not have that voice in my head calling me a coward. I was not going to be afraid.

"So, does it hurt to be in the sun?" I asked her.

"No, it's just a little weird. I don't want to scare you." She said.

"You don't scare me." I told her with a smile on my face.

"Are you sure about this?" She sighed. I rolled my eyes and walked up to her, she stiffened. I put my fingers on the clip of her cloak, and undid it. It fell to the ground and she stared me in the eyes, sending a shiver down my spine. I took both of her cold hands and led her into the sun.

My mouth hung open as her skin sparkled like diamonds. I brushed my hand over hers, mesmerized by the strange glittering light coming from her.

"Wow." I grinned. She smiled back, it wasn't a large smile, and she didn't show her teeth. This was a Jane smile just the slight curl of her lips and the glimmer of amusement in her eyes.

"Not to scary?" She asked.

"No, not scary at all. It's amazing." I whispered. She scoffed and rolled her eyes. I ran my hand over her stone like skin once again. Her hair was stuck in her usual bun, without thinking I reached up and took out the clip that was holding it up. Her hair fell down naturally. I smiled instantly at the image of Jane shining in the sunlight, her hair falling down her shoulders, blowing lightly in the wind. It reminded me of my dreams.

Oh my god! This was exactly like my dreams! I felt my anxiety resurface.

No. I wasn't going to be scared, I was going to enjoy this moment.

Jane had a confused look on her face. I gave a small chuckle, trying to ease her nerves. She gave me a Jane smile in return.

I leaned down and plucked a beautiful white flower from the ground. The edge of the petals was a hot pink colour. I twirled it in between my fingers, and stuck it behind Jane's ear. She gazed up at me, and reached to touch her ear.

We both talked on the hill until the stars came out, I was disappointed as I saw Jane's sparkle disappear. The stars came out and Jane's eyes were lit up at the sight of the thousands of twinkling dots in the sky. I stared at her stunning face as she gazed into the sky. Her eyes were lit up by the shining stars. My attention fell back down to Volterra as light music rolled across the hill.

"What's that?" I pointed to the town square where the music appeared to be coming from.

"It's just some silly human party." She sighed.

"Have you ever been to one?"

"No, why would I want too?" She was trying to sound disgusted, but I caught the slight longing in her voice. "Parties are an idiotic waste of time."

"So is running around with a servant all afternoon, mistress." I teased. A wave of pain was sent into my chest, it really wasn't to bad but it caught me of gaurd.

"Do you want to repeat that last statement?" She questioned, I could hear the humor in her voice.

"No mistress." I chuckled lightly, and the small ache went away. She gave me a Jane smile. I gave a her a silly bow, and I held out my hand inviting her to take it.

"Would you do me the honor of accompanying me to the party, mistress?" I chortled. She rolled her eyes and placed her hand in mind.

"Lead the way." She snickered.