Chapter Thirty-Seven: Problems Arise

The felt much cooler the more the group got closer to the large dome that overlooked The Machine. Frost even appeared on the glass-like surface of the vehicle they were on, and the inside was no different.

Although the group inside was far too preoccupied with the impending fight and sneaking mission they were on to truly care about the temperature. Even Hexel, who was by far the most sensitive to temperature creature in that vehicle, was too caught up in his own mind to care.

Marissa was silently talking to herself, seemingly siding up for the mission at hand. The knife that she had had since transformed constantly, and at the moment it had settled on what could only be described as a pen.

That pen oozed the little bit of White-Boson Energy still inside it, and although it did subtly affect her, no one else levitated like she did.

Axel was also psyching himself up: He repeated a mantra in what Mason would describe as gibberish, looking like he was about to enter a boxing ring. There was even a line of sweat lining his clothing.

Mason was the one on the more calmer side. He was thinking more about the mission and how to get inside it without having to interact with anyone. Not just because he didn't want to fight, but also because it could severely jeopardize the mission.

The more he thought about it, the more inwardly anxious he got though. If the protogen there communicated through that mind-link thing, then they could easily sound an alarm or call someone for backup.

Thankfully, B-64 noticed his thoughts and voiced his concerns to Catalyst, "The majority of The machine is coated in Boson Energy. So much that it even interferes with thoughts and functions such as mind-links and even conjointment or polymerization. No need to worry."

So that was a relief.

B-64 himself was slightly more freaked about this than the others. Of course, his glossy yet slightly cracked visor displayed his face as somewhat confident and unafraid, he was secretly terrified inside.

Not too much that the mission was unsuccessful, or the fact that he would need to fight. No, it was none of that, it was the aspect of having to be away from Mason, and the ever present possibility of him dying. Or the others dying.

But mainly Mason dying. B-64 could barely entertain the thought without feeling slightly sick, which mason quickly remedied with a soft hug and reassuring pats on his hands. Still, the thoughts lingered as they quickly approached the dome.

They stopped just about before the guards could see them and quickly settled for sliding into one of the many alleyways that plagued the city. Each one was nervous as they got out of the vehicle, except Catalyst as he was much too tired and apathetic to care at this point.

They all silently communicated through their mind-link, and each individually set out for their positions. Mason and Marissa were going to be stationed on the left side and Catalyst and Axel on the right.

Mason was slightly hesitant as he crossed the street, constantly glancing at the large dome and entrance just a couple hundred meters away. Marissa was the more fixated one, she constantly clenched her upgrade, another sword, as she stayed determined.

They passed through the back alleys and made their way through the filth and stench. Mason felt his way through it mostly, as even though there was nothing obscuring the light it was still nearly pitch black.

They managed though, and soon approached the end of the alleyways. Marissa led on that side, making her way through a very tight space where two buildings were practically squished together.