• n i n e t e e n •

Comenzar desde el principio

"Morning" Travis warily smiled whereas Raf had his fists clenched and rage was burning in his eyes. He looked like he could throttle someone in that moment and I instinctively took a step back.

Bree glanced at her Rafael and her eyes softened. I caught hurt in her eyes. This sent another wave of concern in my body as to what was going on and I was about to ask Rafael when I remembered Aiden's threat. It won't take them long to start having accidents.

I flinched from the memory and I saw Rafael and Bree look at me. I saw a hint of concern flash in Raf's eyes before his eyes glazed over and that thunderous rage returned.

I sucked in a sharp breath through my teeth, suddenly feeling scared for some reason. Stop being a wuss. That caused all eyes to turn on me and I saw various expressions outlined on their faces. Concern, pain, anger.

"How's the weather today?" I brightly exclaimed and cringed at how I sounded like a mum of two at book club.

"Do I look like the fucking weatherman?" Rafael snapped, glowering at me and I again took a few steps back from him and leaned my back against the locker. It would've been funny at any other time, but right now it wasn't.

In that moment, I felt queasy standing around him, scared that if I said one word wrong, he would lash out and I hated that feeling.

"Quit it" Bree glowered at him, but I could still detect the concern in her voice. Rafael was fuming and the heat of his gaze was enough to get Bree to shut up. I was feeling disconcerted by the sudden dark atmosphere and my lack of sleep wasn't really helping.

"Okay, why don't we all take a moment to calm down and not act like someone pissed in their weetbix" Travis grinned, nudging Rafael.

"I couldn't give two fucks about it. Tell that to someone who cares" Rafael scowled and stormed off, and suddenly the air felt like lead, weighing down on me. I took a deep breath and tried to smile at the others, but everyone except Annikah had a sullen look on their face. She just looked awkward.

"It's his time of the month, don't mind him" Travis tried to lighten the mood but it was like none of us heard him. Annikah was fidgeting with the strap of her backpack and Bree was talking with Travis in hushed whispers.

They were too busy to notice me and Annikah walking away, still immersed in their conversation. I couldn't ignore the feeling of being left out, but I persuaded myself that it wasn't any of my business.

When I reached English, I saw Rafael there and a part of me was relieved that he hadn't done anything stupid, like yesterday. Annikah and I looked at each other and walked to our seats.

Rafael didn't spare a glance to the either of us and stared ahead, his jaw clenched and his lips were a thin line as he had his fists clenched. He looked daunting, but the most terrifying thing were his eyes. They were no longer bright nor glimmering with happiness.

His eyes had become two tempestuous pools of swirling wrath, shrouded by darkness and contempt. They were hauntingly beautiful.

Fuck, I'm going all William Wordsworth right now.

We waited for Mrs. Lively to arrive in complete silence and it was as if the mood of the entire classroom had shifted, at least for me as I waited for Rafael to crack a joke or say he was kidding earlier.