Chapter 65 - File #7.3: The Petty Little Liar

Avery

Can we meet tonight? I think I can help your father, if you can help me too.

I had been staring at the message from Zoe Evans for a while. Apparently, she caught my bargain right before her husband rushed into the house and was considering it overnight. I bet she decided to send me this message because she was currently watching the news that showed a quick count of the votes.

My eyes dwelled on the same view. Rickard led by two percents, making half of the room anxious. I didn't know why Alex and I were dragged along here to Jennings' campaign office after accompanying our mom to vote, only to see the grim look on their faces. I guessed she didn't want to let her children got exposed to the reporters again, especially when the election was still going on, and the appearance of murderer's kids would take away the spotlight.

The only person who could keep strolling around, shaking people's hands, and offering foods, was Danna. Even her mother was nervously watching the news, in case the percentage moved up.

The prediction polls were crazy in the last three days—Rickard and Jennings were catching up to each other. Rickard would lead, but five hours later, Jennings took over. Bridgewald residents relied heavily on the news. That's why there was a significant change when Rickard's fake affair rumor was published. When Norris' murderer was arrested, it was pretty obvious who would win.

"Hey, Alex, you don't want cookies?" offered Danna.

Alex shook his head and got back to his phone. When the room was getting crowded, he put on his earphones. To respect my mother, no one in this office had talked about how Norris' case finally got to see the light. But Alex knew, sooner or later, people would let their itchy mouth to mention it—and he didn't want to hear it.

"When will this be over?" I asked, trying not to be rude, but my face showed it all. I didn't like to be here, especially when my father was accused of murdering a man in one of the rooms.

"Until the count is done." Danna then sat next to me. "You'll be safe here, Avery. No reporters, just people who support Peter Jennings."

That was exactly the group of people I would really love to avoid. None of The Exclusives members that I saw at Norris' memorial was here, that was a good start, but I held my breath as soon as someone walked into the office and greeted Danna's father. Matthew Landon.

After all the stunts he and his group pulled, he still dared to show his face here.

"Are you okay, though?" asked Danna. "I know it's been kinda hard, but if you need someone to talk to—"

"I'm fine, Danna. Thanks," I quickly cut. It creeped me more that Danna seemed to genuinely care about me.

As if my prayers were answered, Mom approached me. "Let's go home," she said, looking so nervous. Who wouldn't? Her boss' votes were doing them no favor.

"You don't want to wait until they announce the result?" I asked back stupidly—I shouldn't give her the reason to stay when she wanted to go.

Shaking her head, she smiled to Danna. "I'm sorry we can't stay with your family, Danna. We have... something to deal on our own."

Danna, knowing what it was, nodded. "Of course, Ms. Kane. I'm sure my dad understands."

When I got up, I was startled that Matthew Landon stood before me, with a big smile on his face.

"Avery Kane!" He said, with a try-hard friendly tone. "I knew I've heard the name before. Your mother is such an amazing woman."

I forced a smile. Oh, God, no. I don't want to talk to him. I glanced at Mom, hoping for her to realize my discomfort, but she just stood there smiling stiffly.