Chapter 11 - File #3.3: The Give and Take

Rhett

I paced back and forth in the corridor of Bensworth's Medical School, in front of the anatomy laboratory to be exact, thinking of what Chief Snell stated just ten minutes ago. I was the reason that Paul Carnahan was hit? That was the most ludicrous thing I had ever heard from him. I even chuckled a bit, and everyone in that room looked at me like I was some kind of unempathetic bastard. I wasn't disrespecting Mr. Carnahan, but seriously, Uncle Dave? You couldn't find a better time to tell a joke?

Then it struck me: the one and only joke he could ever launch was his all-time favorite, "What do policemen usually say to their bellies? You're under a vest!" I remembered how cringe-worthy it was that no one laughed at it but himself. But now, he didn't even laugh, which meant he wasn't joking or even trying to.

Dean Roberts quickly dismissed us, saying that it was better for us to talk about this in the police station. But of course, no matter how serious this was, Chief Snell would never take me there for some obvious reasons. First, he was already tired about this 'Rhett and His Little Cases Take Police Station' drama; second, he understood the whole situation, that if it happened, it would make me a candidate for suspension; and third, the last thing everyone needed right now was the media's attention. So, he just simply answered, "Let me be the one who decides that, Mr. Roberts."

When he said that we needed to talk, I told him I had a class and I would meet him after. I usually couldn't lie because he always knew it right away, but he just nodded and let me go, not saying anything anymore. Was he mad? Probably. Ugh, one problems at a time, please.

As I started to feel dizzy for walking over the same short route, a bunch of pre-med students came out of the laboratory. My eyes instantly found Noel because of his distinct red hair. Even if they were all redheads, I could easily found him, as he was the only one looking at me with irked face.

"I hope you came here to tell me a good news," he said.

"The Dean knew you weren't really involved in the case, so you're fine," I paused for a few seconds, "but I'm not."

"In case you didn't notice, you never are."

"Please keep your cynical words and hear me out just for a second." After all those horrible treatments, I hated to beg him for something, but I had to. "A man is in coma because of me."

He raised his eyebrows, was actually surprised hearing that. "Wow. Your bad luck hurt other people now? I should really stay away from you."

Patience, patience. I shouldn't be upset if I wanted him to help me. "There was a hit-and-run. I think you being called to the principal's office had something to do with that, so I have to know what you and Dean Roberts were talking."

"Uh, fine," he rolled his eyes. "Why does trouble always follow you?"

"Well, trouble and I, we found each other." I couldn't believe it that at this time I still could make a joke out of it.

Noel asked me to follow him to nearest bench. Although at first he was hesitated to tell me, he finally revealed the not-so-private conversation he had with Dean Roberts. Unlike what I predicted before, it was quite boring and mostly just the Dean asking questions regarding the case and Noel answering. Even so, I could imagine how scared Noel had to be. I chuckled when I was thinking about his panic face.

"I don't understand how it helps you with a hit-and-run," he said after finishing the short retelling.

"Well, it sure does tell me that not only they were trying to cover up a crime, but they also were trying to eliminate everything that gets in the way." Okay, it might come out wrong, as Noel's eyes suddenly popped out and his face was as white as a sheet. "No, no, I don't mean eliminate eliminate. The Dean called you just to make sure that the news didn't spread to the whole campus. He just wants to protect Bensworth' reputation."