Chapter 43 - File #5.14: The Act of Forgiveness

Rhett

For almost three days, I didn't go out of the dorm except to go to my so-called birthday party that ended up to be just another disaster. I could've ignored Uncle Dave's call and continued to hibernate, but Noel clearly stated he had enough of me getting busy in our room, as he always growled, "Don't you always have somewhere to go?" I'd rather go than to hear his constant nag.

But going out didn't seem to be a best choice either. I've never been so pissed sitting in The Paste before, even with my favorite strawberry smoothie in front of me, free of charge, plus a slice of fresh-from-the-oven apple pie. My arms were folded on my chest, my eyes were staring deeply into Eddie's who tried to hide his awkward smile and guilt.

"You said it was just two of us," I finally broke the silence. "You tricked me."

"I did. I said 'let's talk, don't worry, it's just two of us'... with 'us' being me and Beth," he explained, and then glanced at his wife next to him, who also had the same expression as me. "It's not my fault you misunderstood what I said."

I clenched my fist. I couldn't just pop off in the middle of a public place. Even if I could, I didn't know what for—because Eddie lied to me or because Beth dared to show up in front of me after everything she did last night?

"I don't have time for this," I stood up and left the table.

"Rhett, wait—" Eddie ran after me. "Come on, give your sister a chance to explain."

"Explain? Did you see her face? She looked like she didn't want to be here. Well, same!"

"Alright, alright," he stopped me from going. "I kinda tricked her too. Because if I didn't do that, who will? You guys obviously can't make up by yourselves."

"Did my parents ask you to do that?" I asked, and he didn't answer, meaning it was true. "We're not kids who need to be seated together to make up."

"Your father said you didn't pick up his calls, nor your mother's... nor everyone's I guess—except mine. And if you're not a kid, you wouldn't walk out of your birthday party last night," he said. "Look, it's not my problem, but I'm your brother too, right? What happened last night was so rude and uncalled for."

I was gonna respond with, 'Have you told Beth about this? She's the one who needs this the most', but Eddie's tone wasn't harsh at all, so I had no reason to reply like that.

"I know all your problems with your siblings, okay, but you can't be crying about them over smallest things all the time," he said. "I just can't believe that your parents have to get through me to talk to their own children."

"You didn't know how it felt, Eddie—always being pushed aside for the sake of my siblings," I tried to keep my tone steady. If I couldn't hold myself, I would either rage or break into tears.

"I understand. But have you ever see things from other perspectives? Your parents', for example. They have gone through 21 birthdays for you, even longer for TJ and Beth. You know what they haven't gone through? Hearing the news that they're gonna be grandparents for the first time," he calmly explained. "Just think about this. I'm not saying that you can't blame anyone for your dejected feeling. I'm saying that before you condemn others, you should be looking at yourself first."

I took a long breath and let it out. I had every right not to listen to him, but he was right. He pointed out the things I might misunderstood about last night, and it got me thinking. I took almost everything to heart, and as a result, it just made me feel worse than it had to.

I went back to the table while Eddie decided to wait outside, and surprisingly, Beth was still there. If she really didn't want to be here like I thought, especially after I walked out on her for almost the second time, she would have left already.