Chapter 30 - File #5.1: The Lying Dead

Rhett

The closest thing to hell every Bensworth's architecture student could get was Professor Sebastian Pine's studio class. It lasted for almost eight hours, with nonstop intervention from the bearded guy. He would examine our designs, tell us to make a change here and there, only to complain about it later.

Everyone would be amazingly on time on Friday. But, when I arrived two minutes after the class supposed to start, they were still in the hallway gathering in front of a bulletin board.

I saw Kyle got out of the crowd. "What's happening?" I said—and suddenly everyone was diverting their attention to me. Chatters spread throughout the hallway. "Was I late? Did I get everyone in trouble? Did Pine—"

"You might want to check the board," he cut.

We forced our way through the small crowd to reach the board. There was a poster of a public seminar about 'building your future', which would be held in Bensworth Hall next Friday. Some photos of the guest speakers were on it, with one being disappointingly familiar.

"This is your sister, Rhett?" Darius, one of my studio friends, pointed at the picture with 'Annabeth Banks' written below it.

I glanced at the board again. So, this was the 'business' that Aunt Ella referred. Beth started off as a psychology graduate with excellent grades, but instead of being the real psychologist, she wrote a book. Many people called her first book 'an inspiration' and it became best-seller in no time. She had since written four books, and the latest one was probably the reason why her photo was on this poster in the first place. I absolutely had no idea about this event because she didn't even tell me.

"Is it really true? I'm a huge fan of hers!" A girl grabbed my arm eagerly. She was also in my studio class, but never bothered to talk to me.

"Yes, yes, she's my sister. Are you guys satisfied?" I huffed. It was true that people would come to you when they needed something. I just didn't know it would be because of Beth's sudden popularity among my friends.

"She's hot!" shouted another person behind me, which the others agreed on.

"Stop it! She's married!" I cringed hearing their choice of words. I never felt the need to protect Beth, but right now, these guys' comments made me uncomfortable.

"I don't care, I'm gonna buy a ticket," said Darius cheekily.

"That's downright creepy."

He disagreed. "Don't get me wrong. I read one of her books because I was going to take psychology—but then I slumped into this hell hole," he sneered while the girl agreed. "I never thought that 'Annabeth Banks' would be this pretty... and related to the one and only Poopfeet."

Everyone laughed. Nobody had called me that for a while, so I was instantly mad and wreaked this to Kyle. "You dragged me here to show that these perverts are going after my sister?"