Claws and Cuteness

I can't believe I'm sitting here, next to her; Adora, the woman I love. Just sat here, shoulder to shoulder, hand in hand - because that's a thing now, apparently - relaxing at Glimmer's palace. I look across at her, she smiles at me, squeezing my hand tightly, and I feel myself filled with warmth. She's just so beautiful, which isn't news to me but for the first time I'm allowed to stare, and allowed to enjoy looking at her.

"Cat got your tongue?" Adora asks, smirking. I can't believe it was just a few hours ago that I was holding her in my arms, and she was so weak, dying, right in front of me; when I thought I was going to lose everything, and this time for good, without any more chances to make anything right.

"Very funny," I say, nudging her shoulder with mine. It feels surreal that I finally told her how I feel, after all this time. And I'm struggling to accept she feels the same, but it must be true because that's how she pulled herself together in the end, instead of just giving up and sacrificing herself. She stayed, just like I asked her to, just like I begged her to.

Normally I'd be ashamed of opening up like that... but it worked. That's all that matters. She's here... she's really here.

"Hmm. Guess what? I love you," Adora says, placing an arm around my shoulders, pulling me in close while I purr happily.

"Say it again," I grin, still finding it hard to believe.

Adora laughs, "That isn't fair, you have to say it back first!"

"Haha, fine! I love you, idiot," I say. We're really here. I can't believe it, she's here, and she actually loves me back, and I have jaw-ache from smiling all the time like an idiot, like I am doing right now, and... and loves me too. She loves me too!

"Well I mean, I am amazing and all," Adora says, unlacing our fingers and flexing her left arm.

"Put the guns away, moron," I say, chuckling, "and give me that back," I say, grabbing her hand.

"Okay, okay!" Adora says, laughing. She traces her fingers against my palm softly, and sighs. "This is all so... new, isn't it?"

"Yeah. You made everything so bright that it hurts my eyes!" I say, wincing at the horizon past the palace walls. The world is so dazzling now that it's sometimes hard to even look at it, it's just too colourful, especially compared to being in the horde. I guess it's going to take a lot of getting used to.

"Well, I... actually kind of meant, this, "Adora says, looking down at our joined hands, and smiling from ear to ear.

Was she always this pretty when she smiles? I think. "Um, yeah. I... I suppose so." I say, sighing happily and snuggling into the crook of her arm, resting my head on her shoulder. Adora lightly strokes my shoulder and my purrs grow louder.

"You know... I've always loved that sound..." Adora says. "It's always helped me to relax."

"Well, it's for your ears only," I say, waiting for her to mock my sapiness. Instead, she swivels on the bench to face me, and takes both my hands in hers.

"Thank you," she says, taking a deep breath. "I mean, for saving me. I was so ready to give up, but you were there and I..."

"I did it for me too, you know," I say, smirking.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I couldn't have lived in a world without you in it, could I?"

"Oh, Catra..." Adora says. She places a finger under my chin, looks at me with soft eyes, softer than I've ever seen. Kiss her, you idiot! is all I can think, the words spinning around in my mind. But I bite my lip and entwine my fingers with hers instead. I don't know what's gotten into me; I kissed her first, after all. But it was life or death back then, wasn't it? And this? This is just scary. I don't even know what I'm scared of. We've only kissed that one time, but I want her to kiss me too. I want it so badly that it hurts.