Her

~HER~

Leo's doing that thing again. The one where he stares off into space with that little smile on his face. She just wishes that she knew what it is that he's so happy thinking about. Sometimes, she likes to think that it's her he is thinking about. Her who brings such a smile to his face.

Three weeks ago, she had no idea who Leo even was. She only knew the name in the tabloids. But now, he's all she can think of. She doesn't know what it is about him. He just has this charisma that draws her towards him like a moth to flame.

Lately, Leah has been breaking tradition. Usually he lays down and stares at the stars while she sits up and stares out at the city. Now, she has been prone to spending most of her time looking at Leo from the corner of her eye. Getting caught is her favorite part because when he sees her, he simply smiles up at her before focusing his attention back on the sky.

"So," he finally says to break the silence, "when do you start school, and which one are you going to?"

"I start the day after tomorrow at something Ridge. Pearl Ridge. . . Stone Ridge. . ."

"I know the school you're talking about. I go there." He says, but he doesn't look happy about this fact.

"Oh really? Well then maybe we'll see each other often!" She says with much more enthusiasm.

"Yeah, maybe. . ." He trails off.

"Hey, is something wrong?" Leah places a hand on his shoulder. He stares at it for a moment, so she moves it away awkwardly and places them into her lap.

Leo clears his throat and looks back up at her face. "Yeah, uh I'm all good."

"Okay, If you say so." She says knowing that he's lying. She leaves it alone though.

She's always wondered what it would feel like to be the new student for once. To have all eyes wondering who she is and where she's from. Leah has never had that before. She grew up in a town where there was no such thing as a secret, where gossip was unnecessary because nobody bothered to even attempt secrecy. The town, while small in size, was one big family. So being the new student is a big deal for her.

Alyssa told her that people would stare. But she said to try and ignore it. A lot of the people in this city come from rich families, they think they need to see if Leah will be any competition to them. Of course, she knows she won't be.

She saw him today in the halls. Leo. She even smiled and waved, but he didn't wave back. She tried not to think too much of it.

It isn't until lunchtime that she realizes that's not the case.

She's walking through the halls, trying to find the cafeteria when she hears voices from around the corner. She gets excited because she thinks that they'll help her find her way around. If there's anything she hates it's being lost.

She follows the voices and comes to see a group of guys spread out in a circle throwing a baseball to one another. Somewhere on the outer edge, she spots a familiar brunette tossing the ball to someone.

"So Leo, who was that chick in the halls today?" Leah's eyes widen and she hastily takes a step back around the corner.

"Which one?" She hears him reply.

"That loser chick that waved at you!" The same guy laughs. Everyone laughs along with him, including Leo.

"Can you believe the girls that come around anymore? I swear this school has been taking in charity cases." Another boy shouts.

She tries not to let it get to her because she shouldn't care what these snobby rich kids think of her.

"So who was she?"

"I don't know man. Probably just another girl trying to gain some popularity." And his words are, sadly, the ones that break her resolve.

What she wants to do is turn around and cry. Instead she takes a deep breath and steps out from the corner. She makes sure that her worn out boots thump loudly on the ground as to gather everyone's attention.

"Popularity?" She calls out. Every head snaps in her direction. Leah ignores the look in Leo's eyes that begs her to turn the other way, and keeps on talking. "Is that really what you are all so focused on? It's sad to think that you've got all this money and all you chose to buy are friends. Look around you, boys. You're oh so popular but when you leave this place, nobody is going to care about a washed up jock who can't keep himself off the roids long enough to try and earn something in life. So don't flatter yourselves in thinking that everyone wants to get close to you. The reality is that they're sticking around long enough to watch the crash and burn."

"Who do you think you are talkin' to us like that?"

"I'm just another girl trying to gain popularity." She doesn't bother glancing at Leo long enough to see regret flash through his eyes before waking away.