Rose

"Love fades...mine has..." He said that right to my face. After everything we'd been through, that was really how he wanted it to end, huh? But as I looked at his face, I realized that there was something else hidden in his eyes. Regret? Pain? Wait...love...sorrow...he's having a darkness phase. 

I wanted to help him out of it, but with those words he just said, it was clear that he wanted me to leave him alone. Or at least for this moment, he did. So I swallowed my pride and nodded, standing up and leaving. I could tell he was surprised and confused. Not what he was expecting at all, was it? Well, I've grown up in the time I thought he was dead. 

Now, what was I supposed to do? I bumped into Ambrose as I was walking out of the church. 

"Guardian Hathaway! Good to see you again!" he said, grinning. 

"Great to see you too, Ambrose!" I stated, giving him a hug. 

"Let's go out for some coffee and catch up, huh?" he asked. I didn't have anything else to do, so I agreed, going to the court cafeteria with him.

=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=

"...so that's what's been going on with me." I finished. I already knew Ambrose was a good secret keeper, hell, he kept Tatiana's secrets on a daily basis! So I decided to tell him about what happened to me. Specifically, the part about me being shadow-kissed, how I got Dimitri turned back(but leaving out the prison parts), and my troubled love life. He was patient the whole time, listening carefully while nursing his hot chocolate. 

"Rose, to me it just seems like you need a break." he stated finally. 

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused. 

"It sounds like you've had a bad year. You've been surrounded by toxic nature. The darkness, Lissa not realizing shit, Dimitri treating you like a stranger, your mom's tough love, everything, it just seems like you've been having a bad time. It's great that things are changing, but sometimes you just need a break." he explained. 

"I'll...think about it. Thanks, Ambrose," I said. I hugged him once before going to talk to Lissa.

=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=

"So you're leaving?" Lissa asked. I nodded guiltily. 

"Alright then, let's go," she stated, going to her closet to pack her clothes. 

"Liss, wait, no, you can't come with me." I said. She paused and then turned around, frowning. 

"Why not?" 

"First of all, I'm not yet an official guardian. Second, if you leave, then Dimitri will lose the one person who's fighting for him and keeping him from turning him into a lab rat. And third...I need to do this Liss, for myself. He was right, it's been a tough year. I need a break. No responsibilities. Just...a break." I explained softly. 

It took a couple of hours, but finally, she agreed when I promised her that I would call every day and let her pack my stuff with me. Once the last of the packing was over, I went to Adrian's room to say goodbye. 

=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=_=-=

"Rose? What's up?" he said, as he opened the door for me. I stepped into his apartment and noticed that Tatiana was sitting in the living room, not so subtly looking at me. 

"I need to talk to you," I stated. He nodded, taking me to the kitchen. 

"I'm leaving Court." I spelled it out. I gave an entire explanation. He seemed to be heartbroken.