Rose

"That can't be possible...the wards..." I muttered, then my head shot up. 

The guardians were responsible to make sure that the wards were regularly placed. The wards had not been placed in more than a decade.

"Call the Protectors. Tell them everything. I'll come after this event gets over." 

"Sister there are more pressing matters than a silly Midgardian tradition!" Loki exclaimed. 

"Nothing is more important than family!" I yelled back. 

"I will go after the event is over. I have faith that the others can handle it until I come. They're strong. And if you really think it's more important then you can leave." I stated icily. He sighed, running a hand through his hair. 

"Yay! Uncle Loki's staying!" Loki said in a fake cheery voice to the kids. They cheered. Peter, Cooper, and Lila, however, seemed to have understood the stakes. 

"Rose, you can go, we won't mind." Cooper said softly. I shoke my head.

"Rose saving the universe is more important." Peter tried to say. 

"It's not just about you guys." I stated, sighing. They looked confused. 

"All my years growing up, I waited for mother to come visit me. And every year, she didn't come. The only thing she did do was send a one-liner email to me on my birthday. She didn't visit. I thought maybe she was busy, maybe she'd come during the vacations. She never did. I had to suffer the humiliation of staying at the dorms alone because nobody was there for me. Nobody was willing to come for me. I know it's different for you guys, but...I never want you to feel what I did. Not even for a minute. So I'm staying." I said firmly. They nodded slowly. 

The entire day, the Avengers came in and out, taking shifts to go help with the situation. The kids all stuck to my side the entire time. Peter made sure that I gave him updates as well, seeing as he was desperate to help us. So as soon as the clock hit 3, the school let out. We dropped the kids back home and left them in the care of Pepper and Laura before we all travelled to the court.

"So, what's the plan here?" I asked them. 

"They compelled some really high officials. They're planning to use the Helicarriers old DNA target machines to specifically target us and kill us." Tony stated.

"Well, what are we doing about it?" 

"I can't stop them without meeting them." Sydney stated.

"So our options are to either break the compulsion or stop the weapons." I stated. They nodded. 

"Great. Let's start working on it." I stated. 

"Tony. You, Thor, Loki, Sydney, and I will go to space. We're gonna disarm them. Sydney breaks the compulsion, we stop the weapons in case it doesn't work. If that doesn't end up working, Wanda, you're in charge of creating a shield on the atmosphere with your powers. Make sure that they don't reach the floor. The rest of you will help get civilians to safety and do damage control and make sure the moroi don't escape. Am I clear?" they all nodded. 

"Great. Let's go." I stated. Tony gave Sydney a spare Iron League suit so that she could breathe in space. The 5 of us lifted off the highest roof in court and started flying as high as we could. We soon reached space. The earth looked amazing from that far, but I tried not to focus on that. 

We soon reached the helicarrier that was in space. It almost wasn't visible because of the black colours, but we managed to find it. We reached inside the helicarrier soon enough. 

It was mysteriously silent. 

"Lokes, can you hear anyone?" I asked quietly. He listened hard. 

"The control room. Someone's typing in targets." he stated. We made our way to the control room. The layout of the helicarrier was pretty similar to the other helicarriers, so we didn't have trouble navigating. 

"Hands up!" we shouted, showing our weapons. The person was clearly a S.H.I.E.L.D Agent. They were wearing the standard S.H.I.E.L.D catsuit and jackets. The person didn't seem to hear us. I walked forward and turned them around. I realised that their eyes were glassy. And then they rolled in the back of their head and foam poured out of their mouth. I dropped them. 

"They're dead!" I exclaimed softly. Then I saw the list of targets on the screen. I looked at it closely. My eyes widened. 

"They're not targeting us! They're targeting known strigoi and moroi! They're trying to end our race!" I exclaimed. My friends gasped. 

"We need to do something. NOW." I stated. They nodded. Tony tried to disable the system, but it didn't work. I couldn't let them get hurt. No matter what they did. 

"Wait...it needs a target, right?" I asked. Tony nodded, confused. That was all the confirmation I needed. I let my darkness take over their minds and sent them back down to earth safely, making sure that they wouldn't wake up and talk me out of my plan for at least 15 minutes. I was planning a dangerous move. I didn't even know if this was going to work. 

"Roza! What's going on?! Where are you?!" I heard Dimitri yell through the comms. He sounded like he was running.

"Comrade...I'm about to do something. I don't know if this will work or not..." I stated. He paused, and I could hear his heavy breathing.

"What are you going to do?" he asked softly. 

"It needs a target. I can stand it. My darkness can stand it. Don't try talking me out of this." I stated. 

"Roza think about what you will do! What about everyone we love?! Erik, Astrid, Thor, Loki, Eddie, Sydney, the Avengers, the Protectors, me! We need you!" he exclaimed in a shaky voice. I felt tears brimming my eyes as I typed my name on it. 

"I'm sorry." I stated. I found my file and replaced it with the targets. 

"Please don't do this..." he whispered. I sniffled, scared for once in my life.

"I will always love you..." I whispered. Then I clicked it. 

I flew out into space, away from Earth. The helicarriers guns all picked up on me. They followed my movement. I cast a protection spell on myself and created a wall of darkness in front of me. It was becoming harder and harder to defend myself against it. I started dodging it. I could feel that my friends who knew how to fly were watching me from the side, trying to disable the target on my back. But they were not very successful.

The booms were deafening. My teeth chattered with the impact. Finally, all the weapons ran out and Tony had control of the systems once again. I had taken a few hits, but nothing that surgery couldn't heal me.

As I was laying on the gurney, I thought about what Dimitri had tried to tell me before I reprogrammed the system.

We need you...

I gotta say, I had never felt those words hit me that hard before. 

I always thought the moroi needed me. That they couldn't survive without me. That they needed me. It was simply a race thing. Nothing more. 

But the people I surround myself with every day, the connection ran so much deeper. 

We were psychologically crazy without each other. We were each other's anchors. 

And I know for a fact, that unlike the moroi, if I was in danger, they'd give up their own lives to save me. 

I had been ready to throw that away. 

Just like when I had been ready to throw my life away on that bridge in Russia. 

When did my thoughts take such a dark turn? When did I start feeling this...emptiness? How is it that in my life of light...I found darkness? How could I find the bad in the shadows of the good? 

Am I going crazy?