Chapter 8-The Breaking of the Fellowship (Edited)

Start from the beginning

"Frodo?" he asked.

Frodo started when he saw Aragorn. 

"It has taken Boromir," he said frightened.

Aragorn took a step toward Frodo.

"Where is the Ring?" Aragorn asked.

Frodo retreated from Aragorn.

"Stay away!" he shouted.

"Frodo," said Aragorn gently.

Frodo stopped retreating to look at him in fear. 

"I swore to protect you," continued Aragorn.

"Can you protect me from yourself?"

With those words Aragorn understood why Frodo had been frightened of him.

"Would you destroy it?" continued Frodo. He showed the Ring to Aragorn, it resting in the palm of his hand.

Aragorn looked at the Ring and slowly approached, hearing it calling him, feeling its power. He reached out, with both hands, but instead of taking the Ring, he closed Frodo's hand over the Ring and pushed it towards his chest.

"I would have gone with you to the end. Into the very fires of Mordor," said Aragorn gently/.

"I know," replied Frodo, relieved, "Look after the others. Especially Sam. He will not understand."

Aragorn nodded, with tears in his eyes. This is where their paths would separate and they would go on different journeys.

Suddenly, Aragorn stood because he saw the bright blue glow of Frodo's sword. He ordered Frodo to run and then turned back to face the onslaught of the Uruk-Hai. Aragorn fought but he was only one against many. He attacked skilfully with his sword and just as he thought he would be out numbered, Legolas and Gimli appeared from the forest to fight by his side; Legolas killing many with the arrows shot from his bow and Gimli landing blow after blow with his axe.

~~~~~

From her side of the wood Salandiel heard the battle taking place and ran towards the sound of it but as she was halfway up a hill, she ran into a little figure; Frodo. Salandiel was relieved to have found him but he seemed flustered.

"What is wrong, Frodo?" asked Salandiel.

"Please!" he replied with urgency, "You must let me go. I need to get to the river."

"What? But I just found you!" she replied.

Salandiel did not know of the conversation that had taken place between Frodo and Aragorn therefore she did not know of his decision to let Frodo go on by himself. Salandiel looked towards the sound of the battle and, once again, was faced with another difficult decision. Was she to follow Frodo and help him as she had promised, or was she to go and fight with the rest of the company? She looked at Frodo's face and saw his determination. She saw that same courage that she was so amazed by at the Council of Elrond.

Salandiel knelt down, looking Frodo in the eye.

"I swore my loyalty to you in Rivendell," started Salandiel, "If you wish for me to journey with you to the end, I will. But if you wish that I let you go on by yourself, I shall respect your decision and follow your wishes."

Frodo hesitated but eventually replied. 

"Thank you Salandiel for your loyalty but I feel I must go on by myself."

"Then so be it," replied Salandiel, "May the Grace of the Valar be with you."

With those final words, Salandiel stood up, bowed to Frodo and proceeded to run up the hill towards the battle but just as Frodo went out of sight she ran into another hobbit; this time it was Sam.