The party trap

Cassie lay in her bed, crying profusely, she had already gone through a whole pack of Kleenex and was half way through a second one. Her mother and Phoebe's desperate attempts to cheer her up had all been futile, because she cried non-stop. They had finally decided to allow her some alone time to cry as much as she needed to.

'Tyler hates me' was all she could think. Her only source of hope and joy came from the fact that he hadn't broken up with her. She hoped that he was just going to feel anger for a short while, but when she remembered the look in his eyes, her heart broke over and over again. 

From time to time, she'd glance at  her phone or even stare at it, in wait of a call from Tyler, but he did not call, neither did he text. It killed her whenever someone else called her or text her because the only person she wanted to hear from probably was probably not even thinking about her. She was so tempted to reach out to her phone and call him, but she remembered Phoebe's advice and decided not to.

Her phone rang and her hands raced to grab it, with hope and desperation in her eyes, she looked at the screen but to her utmost dismay, once again it was not Tyler calling, it was Brady. Her heart sunk in her chest and she let out a sigh before answering the call.

"Hello Cassie," he greeted warmly.

"Brady," she said trying to sound cheerful. She didn't want him to think that she was weak, and believe Peter when he said that letting her work on the case was a mistake, especially since she was crying over a fight with her boyfriend.

"I'm going out today to talk to the families of the victims to see if I can gather some extra information, wanna tag along to observe?" he asked

"Of course," she grew excited "give me thirty minutes, " she said excitedly. She might have just been miserable over the fight she got into with Tyler, but somehow, hearing that she would be involved in the case flushed all that sadness away. It was a great distraction for her.

"Okay bye, see you in half an hour," he said and then hung up.

She jumped off her bed and walked to the bathroom. She looked at her reflexion in the mirror that was above her sink. Her eyes were puffy and her hair was dishevelled. She rolled out some toilet paper and blew out her stuffy nose, and then she washed her face so that she didn't look like she was crying. She put on some light makeup and brushed her hair, then she picked up her car keys and ran down the staircase. 

 She ran to her mother's office and poked her head in. Her mother had on her glasses, her face was serious as she skimmed through some papers that were on her desk. "Mum, I'm going out." 

"Did Tyler call?" she looked up at her.

"Nope," she replied and ran out.

Cassie got into her mustang and drove off to the station. When she got there she  met Brady leaning against the driver side of a black Toyota Camry and so  once she parked her car she walked up to him. He put on his shades and asked, "you ready?"

"Totally," she smiled need a distraction right now.

"Hmmm, might I ask why you need to be distracted?"

"Oh it's nothing, being a teenager gets complicated, and I like to escape the complications sometimes," she explained. 

"I remember those days," he sighed "don't miss em."

"So where's our first stop?" She asked excitedly.

"First, we go to Ruby Browns home, then Carla Hendersons followed by Elisa Whiteclouds and Finally Bianca Matthews."