"I want to lie down flat and beg you. My friends and I are looking forward to this premiere. Or you don't want me to meet with my crush? You don't want me to ogle him from afar right?"

Claire laughed.
"You're such a pathetic lover. Okay. Come to the house then by 7 tomorrow. We'll go from here. If you're a minute late, I'm cancelling."

"Yes. In fact, I'll be one hour early."

They both laughed.
"Alright. Tomorrow then."

"Take care."
Claire disconnected the call and heaved a sigh. She checked the time and it was few minutes past five. She needed to get dressed for her appointment with Phil but first, she would put something in her stomach.
She stood up and left the room. She would quickly make noodles and heat up the chicken. Its been long she ate what she cooked herself. She missed her former self, where she did everything on her own but she'll wait. By Sunday, she'll be single and the quest for vengeance won't follow her to her new home where she'll go back to being that simple woman everyone loved.

She got to the kitchen and found Ebere sitting idly, looking into empty space.

She pulled out the second chair from the island and sat down.
"Ebere?"

But the young woman was far from listening so she tapped her thigh.
She sprang up in fright and Claire smiled.

"Sorry madam. I....... I came to take water but I......"

"I want to cook. You'll keep me company right?" Claire asked with a smile.

"Ma.....madam....."

"We have today and tomorrow to talk about what happened hmm? Be free with me. I'm not angry anymore."

"I'm sorry madam. It's all my fault. I......"

"Ebere, we'll talk about it later. I'm sure you're hungry because nobody had lunch in this house. Don't worry eh? I'll keep you company if you don't want to keep me company."

"No madam. I'll keep you company." Ebere said, quickly wiping the tears off her eyes.

"Good. I'll chop the carrots while you take care of the baked corn and peas. We're cooking for two, just you and I. Chika isn't back yet."

As much as Ebere wanted to ask why she didn't involve Amara and Michael, she still nodded, ready to relish in her new found forgiveness.

************
Michael gently dropped Amara on the bed. She had fallen asleep while they cuddled.

What was that smell again? Claire was cooking. He was sure of that.
The house knew whenever she was in the kitchen. He was sure the neighborhood knew too. Her culinary skills were unbeatable. He got down from the bed and went to the bathroom to wash his mouth.
It was time to eat a good meal.

************
"You'll join me in the dinning." Claire said as they served the meal in two ceramic plates.

"I've not showered yet madam. Please, let me eat in my room."

"Okay. I'll be going out after eating but we'll talk when I come back okay?"

"Thank you madam. This food looks delicious. I've missed your meals."

Claire laughed heartily
"Same here dear. You go ahead now."

"Thank you."
Ebere walked out of the kitchen, carrying her tray of food and water.
She has never been this happy since she found out she was pregnant.
Her boss was a good woman, no doubt, and she felt bad for eating from her pot of soup. But did she learn from it? You bet she did.