"Fool. Idiot. You want me to shout out my lungs before you answer me right?"

"I'm sorry ma. I was sleeping."

"Eh? You were what? Now kneel down"

Ebere quickly got on her knees, tears welling up in her eyes.

"You're sleeping. You didn't notice I didn't come down for breakfast and that I'll be hungry by now? Fool." She kicked her.

"I'm sorry ma." Ebere cried.

"Sorry for your miserable life. I want you to make me white soup with pounded yam now. There's catfish and cow skin in the freezer. It better be delicious or I'll roast you alive. Idiot."
She kicked her again and made to go out when she bumped into Claire.

"Catfish and cow skin. Did you buy them yourself?" Claire threw at her and she hissed.

"And you, if I see you in my kitchen, no, if I sniff you in my kitchen, I'll make sure I cut your double self into tiny pieces." She said to Ebere who was sobbing.

"My husband is buying this house." Amara retorted angrily.

"Is buying. He hasn't given me a dime yet so for now, the house is mine and you'll manage whatever I give you in this house. You'll eat what and when every other person eats, pregnant or not."

"Now I see, you are jealous and want to kill my baby right? It won't......."

"No my dear. But I pray your so called husband doesn't beat that baby out of you when its eventually the two of you in this house and you'll have no one to do your chores. Rubbish."
She walked out and Amara stared wickedly at her.

Ebere slowly crept out, wondering what her own fate would be.

----------------

"I don't understand you at all baby. Why do you keep begging her for everything? She should go to hell for all I care. Just buy the house let's kick her out as soon as possible. Can you imagine? I'm pregnant and she won't let me eat what my baby wants. I'm so sick of her." Amara complained to Michael.

"When do you wanna start your antenatal?"

His question threw her off guard. She was expecting him to at least say a word about her maltreatment from Claire but......

"Honey, is that what you have to ask me? Someone is maltreating your pregnant wife and all you care about is the antenatal."

"My baby is also important here. Whatever you want to eat, we can get it from five star or Kilimanjaro but my baby should come first."

She heaved a sigh.
"You're right. The tension and all this recent happenings have stopped me from thinking straight. I know a hospital nearby. We can go and get registered."

"When?"

"Next week. So I can make enquires."

"Alright. Stop bothering about Claire. Your health and that of my baby should come first now. Let me handle every other thing."

"Yes baby. Thanks for loving me like this."
She cuddled up to him and he held her, his eyes, silently searching the ceiling for answers.

**********
"Hi Claire." Chantal said into the phone.

"Hi babe. What's up?"

"I'm fine. Remember the premiere. It's tomorrow."

"Yes I do. But I doubt if I'll be going."

"Oh no. Please Claire. Are you at home?"

"Yes but I'm about to step out now. You want us to see?"