Chapter 9

School was cancelled the next day, apparently someone flooded all the bathrooms, but Connor couldn't care less. He kept on re-reading the messages he sent to Evan last night. It felt a little nice talking to someone, but he wish he could do it more often. Larry opened the door knocking on the wood waiting for permission to be let in, Connor quickly tossed the phone under his pillow. For some reason, he was scared of his parents finding out. Larry would just tell him some shitty advice and it wouldn't help Connor in any way. "Come in," Connor said making sure to add a hint of annoyance in his voice to let Larry know he was still mad. Larry walked in and sat on the bed staring at Connor with searching eyes. "Sorry."

     "About what?"

     "About last night, I didn't look at the reason. If you need more sleep we can-"

     "I don't need your help, Larry, I'm just fine on my own."

     "Okay, fine, do you want to play catch?"

     "I'm not your 'normal' son that wants to play catch Larry, nor am I ever going to use that baseball glove."

     "I can tell you're still mad at me-"

     "Understatement of the century, you only apologize because you feel bad for your freak son."

     "I never said you were a freak."

     "It was implied."

     "I'm not a storybook with figurative language Connor, or any of Shakespeare's works, you can't imply anything from me."

     "I can, I will, I did."

     "I care about you."

     "I wish you showed it."

     "I tried, I wanted to play catch but you didn't want to."

     "No, I mean show it in other ways, like, oh I don't know, saying 'I love you'? Doing something that I want for once?"

     "Then what do you want to do?"

     "Be normal." Connor looked away from Larry's face as he said that statement hoping Larry wouldn't prod further into that statement or try to make up some bullshit on how he can start. "Maybe normal isn't for you."

     "Right, because I'm such a freak."

     "Because society's normal doesn't match up with yours."

     "Because I'm a freak."

     "Because you're unique."

     "Pfft, like you care about how 'unique' I am. You can't even be bothered to say 'I love you'. You slam your hand on the table if I get in trouble, or just get disappointed, you get mad if I come home with ripped jeans and blood not caring about how I got hurt, and you're only apologizing now because mom made you."

     "I'm apologizing now because I made a mistake, your mother didn't set me up for anything. I'm sorry, Connor, what more do you want from me?" Connor paused for a moment, what did he want from his dad? He's already known about the fact that he cares about him, he gets money, what did he want from the person sitting next to him?

     "Can we do something that I want sometimes?"

     "Okay, sure. Do I write this down or...?"

     "You could just remember it."

     "Okay."

     "Less yelling."

     "Connor, sometimes I do that to diffuse the argument-"

     "It makes me me mad, and then I punch a wall, or push people, can we just lessen it?"