Chapter twenty-three: final escape

When the coast was clear, I finally took my chances. I peeked out from behind the door and glanced up and down the hall, it was empty. I quietly walked out and went from door to door, knocking on each one quietly. I found a door I had a good feeling about and rattled it open, I heard cries and gasps on the other side.
When I opened it the kids all were posed in attack but then saw it was me.
Suzy ran over and hugged me while the others gathered around asking questions. "I thought you were dead!" Cody exclaimed and I shook my head. "Look everyone we're getting out of this place no matter what the risk, even if it means my life I'm getting you all of here." I replied and everyone nodded reluctantly.
We walked through the darkened hallway together, the kids nearly shrieked when they saw something skittering towards us, I heard a mewl when the thing stopped in front of me. It was Blue, he jumped in my arms and I held on. He was his normal size and purring. "don't worry guys it's my cat." I said reassuringly. "Can I hold him?" Norman asked and I nodded, carefully handing Blue over to him.
We continued on our way up the stairs to the exit, then stopped when a spotlight is shown on us, as of we were deer caught in the headlights of a car. The spotlight panned over to the stage where the curtains opened, Xander stood there, he had his scythe weapon ready for attack as he saw us. "RUN RUN!!" I yelled out to the kids as they did so, bringing Blue with them. I sighed with relief once they've exited through the door.
I tried going next but suddenly I was caught by the wand's blue aura and brought over to the stage, Xander was grinning drool coming from his mouth. Laughing maniacally he dropped me on the stage floor and pounced, catching me by my arms. "So you think you're some sort of hero don't you?" he said and looked at me square in the eye. "you never stood a chance, if you hadn't left me none of this would have happened!" I struggled and pushed him off me. "after what I've done for you! After I have helped you, you still want to run!" Xander yelled, aiming a blue beam at me and shot, I jumped and he missed. I then ran as fast as I could towards the exit and turned back one last time. "THIS ISN'T THE LAST YOU'LL SEE OF ME!!!!" Xander screamed before I slammed the door and entered the light.
I woke up in a hospital bed, confused I looked around. Just then a nurse came to check my blood pressure. "Oh good you're awake." she said nodding and I stared. "how did I get here?" I asked but I didn't have to wait long. Mom and Twila were already coming into the room.