Chapter six: the cemetery

It was a one hour drive to Lil Wingsville, it was an awfully small town but a lot of big stuff tends to happen.
I parked in front of the cemetery fence and got out, taking a deep breath I got out of my car and walked towards the open gate, all around I saw a few families paying their respects to their deceased loved ones. I weaved my way towards the graves which had my grandpa, my dad, and my little sister.

I stood there, head bowed in prayer and a voice startled me. "I suppose you're here for family?" the voice said and I turned around, "yeah actually, you see I..." I trailed off when a man stood there, he seemed to have brown hair, blue eyes, his hat and coat were frayed and ruined from time and his boots covered in dirt.

"Can I help you?" I asked and the man shook his head. "that's alright, dearest, I'm fine." he said and I frowned, slightly confused. "there's something bothering you, I can tell." he continued and this time it was my turn to shake my head. "it's a little embarrassing to talk about." I shrugged and the man looked at me before his face lit up.
"Hey, aren't you the older sister of that blondie that just died a few weeks ago?" he asked and I nodded. "I must say I know how hard it is to lose a loved one." I nodded, "so what brings you here Mr... " "Hepster, Cameron Hepster. The cemetery's undertaker, I live at the funeral home over there." he pointed to a large house with a parking lot and a sign with the name "Hepster Funeral Home and Service"
"Ohhh! That's where you live?" I asked suddenly surprised and Cameron nodded. I always passed by that place and I was now meeting what could be the owner.
"Luna." I said and shook hands with Cameron. He smiled warmly, "how would you like to come inside for a spell, I ain't gonna bite and I don't often have company." he offered, he seemed nice enough so I accepted.
We went inside the funeral home, it was a large place with a beautiful lobby and a few hallways, a staircase leading upstairs, but other than that it wasn't too much.
He led me up the stairs and I found myself in a nice parlor, there was a door leading to the kitchen, a hallway with a bathroom, bedroom, and a closet. "you live here?" I asked feeling dumb about my question. "yes ma'am all by myself." Cameron said and threw his hat on a chair. "sit anywhere you like, dear." he said and I sat on the sofa. "Would you like anything to drink?" he asked and I shook my head. "No thank you." I kindly rejected his offer and looked around the parlor. It was very nice and almost welcoming.

"I can tell there's something different about you." he said and I looked at him, he seemed a bit serious. "like what?" I asked and Cameron shrugged. "I guess it's that lovely light aura I see around you. I'm going to guess that something tragic just happened that's worse than death."  I felt that same knot like in the hospital form again. "something did happen." I said and Cameron motioned me to keep going. "a bad memory has been unleashed and I don't know why he decided to come out now." I finished and laid my head in my hands clearly embarrassed about it. "It's nothing to be ashamed about." Cameron replied, "the death of your sister has unlocked something dangerous that had been buried in your past long ago, he's a vicious creature waiting to come out of your head and take over your life." he said and I was stunned. "how do you know all of that?" I asked and Cameron's eyes glowed a hue of light red before going back to normal again.
"I'm not like any other undertaker you see, I was a priest back in the fifties, but my father wanted to keep the family business going but I didn't want to do that." he said and I gasped. "are you...immortal?" and Cameron nodded.
"I discovered a power I never knew I had and I ended up banished because of it. I only found myself here and before I understood what happened I knew I was now in charge of this place." he stopped and looked out the window.
"I wish Darlene were here, she was my girlfriend at the time but when I was banished I knew that she died once I found myself here." I waited for him to continue but he stood up as if nothing happened. I stood up too as he grabbed his hat from the chair.
"well I suppose I've wasted enough of your time, why don't we get going? I have a coffin to bury from a funeral that happened just yesterday, so many people dying am I right?" he chuckled and I sighed. I was also a little weirded out.
"here's my business card if you want to call, maybe talk or if you know someone who recently died." he handed me a card and I looked at it before putting it in my jeans pocket.
"well see you later, Luna, it was a swell time talking." he waved and went to a shed near the cemetery. I went to my car and left.