chapter 80: words of affirmation

Start from the beginning

"So... I suppose Hoseok-oppa is still with you?" Chungha asked warily. "He isn't picking up the phone, do you mind if I speak to him?"

"Hoseok sunbae-nim didn't feel too good, so he went home first," Jisoo said quietly, as if in respect of the deceased. "I'm coming back to the office to settle the rest of the case. The case is officially closed, we won't be covering this case at all."

"You won't be covering the case at all?" Even in shock, Chungha didn't lose her sharpness. "Why?"

"It's what the family wants," Jisoo said with a sigh. "I mean, I understand. Suicide is still taboo in today's society after all, so I think we should respect that."

Chungha's heart fell for the second time, if that was even possible.

Suicide.

So that was why.

"You said Hoseok-oppa went home, did you?" Chungha choked the words out. "How long ago did he leave?"

"About an hour ago, I think...?" Jisoo said slowly. "Why? Is he still uncontactable, Chungha-ssi?"

"Mm."

"Is he okay?" Jisoo asked, sounding concerned. "He didn't look too good at the hospital earlier..."

"Yeah, he's probably not okay-" Chungha swallowed hard as tears of worry flew to her eyes. "I'll go look for him, Jisoo-ssi. Don't worry about us and get along with your work. I'll make sure he's fine."

"Okay, Chungha-ssi. Please do keep me updated."

Beep.

Chungha sat in her seat for a few seconds after putting down the phone, unable to process what she had just heard. It had been 10 whole years since the incident, but things like this... you never get over. Chungha could only imagine how Hoseok felt right now - terror, fear, pain... just a wave of negative emotions that he probably wouldn't want to face alone right now.

"Agassi-" The taxi driver glanced at Chungha through the rear view mirror and spoke after some hesitation. "Where are we headed now?"

"Turn the car around, ajusshi-" Chungha said, with tears rolling down her cheeks. "Please take me to Gangnam."

-•-•-

"Ya."

Jungkook approached Jieun from behind, giving her a small tap on the shoulder, but she didn't respond.

"Ya, Lee Jieun."

"Lee Jieun-ssi," Jieun corrected as she finally turned around. "What do you want?"

"Ooh, looks like someone's in a bad mood again-" Jungkook raised his eyebrows as he leaned against the kitchen counter next to Jieun. "What did I do this time?"

"Nothing-" Jieun shook her head. "Does everything always have to be about you?"

"Maybe?" Jungkook shrugged. "Well... actually, I wouldn't know, would I?"

"I said it isn't."

"It's all scripted," Jungkook said abruptly, as Jieun turned to leave. "Everything I do for Jennie is merely an act for the camera, don't you already know that?"

"So?" Jieun whirled around, raising her eyebrows nonchalantly. "Why are you telling me this?"

"Huh?" Jungkook rubbed the back of his neck as he looked away awkwardly. "Oh, I just thought you might wanna know, you know."

"Well, I don't."

"Yeah, I'm just saying-" Jungkook carried on, evidently disappointed. "You know, that there's really nothing going on between us both."