Chapter Fifteen ~ Nighthawks

Start from the beginning

The next morning CJ wakes up to see everyone at the bottom of her bed wearing snake masks. Rolling her eyes she taps Reggie awake before lying back down and ignoring them as they talk to Reggie. As soon as they've left she starts playing with 'The Beast' aka Hotdog the Third. "What now?" Reggie asks. "You'll have to learn the laws." CJ tells him "One. A Serpent never shows cowardice. Two. If a Serpent is killed or imprisoned, their family will be taken care of. Three. A Serpent never sheds its skin. Four. No Serpent is left for dead. Five. A Serpent never betrays his own. Six. In unity, there is strength. You'll have to shout them in front of everyone at the Wyrm. Then you'll have to retrieve a knife from a Rattle Snake. Finally the gauntlet where you'll be jumped in by the others." CJ explains. Reggie nods "Can you explain the laws in order?" he asks. "Number one is a Serpent never shows cowardice. Which also means no Serpent stands alone. So Serpents stick together and always help each other. Number two if a Serpent is killed or imprisoned, their family will be taken care of. So if something happens to a Serpent their family is still protected. Three is a Serpent never sheds its skin. So with or without the jacket you are still a Serpent. Four is no Serpent is left for dead. So no one is left behind or unprotected. Five is a Serpent never betrays his own. So no harming, killing, snitching, anything like that. Finally, six is in unity, there is strength. So as long as we stick together we will never fall." CJ explains. Reggie nods and kisses her smiling "You'll have to help me practise them." he tells her. "Of Course, but first school." she smiles kissing back.

After school CJ sits with Reggie in her trailer

After school CJ sits with Reggie in her trailer. "Okay not what's the sixth?" she asks. "In unity, there is strength." Reggie smiles. "There you've got them all." CJ tells him proudly. Reggie smiles and leans forward to kiss her. Wrapping her arms round his neck, CJ pulls him closer. When they break apart they rest their foreheads against each other out of breath. There's a knock on the door making CJ get up and open it. "Penny." she sighs. "Now now CJ. I'm just here to cash in the favour you owe me." the blonde woman smiles. "I can't right now." CJ glares. "Come now. Remember the police could easily bring charges back to you." Penny reminds her. "Fine I'll come by later." CJ glares slamming the door in Penny's face. She sighs and leans against the door before sliding down and crying. Reggie rushes over and holds her close to him. "Call the group over." she snuffles once she calms.

Soon the group arrives and they all sit on the sofa and chairs. "What's up babes?" Toni asks. "Penny wants to cash in the favour I owe her. If I don't do it apparently the police could easily bring the charges back to me." CJ tells her friends running her hands through her hair. "Okay well we'll work something out." Fangs tells her determined as the others nod. Reggie look at them "Who is this Penny?" he asks. "She's the Snake Charmer aka the Serpent lawyer." Toni explains. "She helped me out of a situation last summer. I could have gone to Juvie but she made sure I didn't." CJ tells her boyfriend looking down. "Hey whatever it was I don't care. I love you and all of you. Even the mistakes you have made in the past and the ones in the present and future." Reggie tells her lifting her head gently with two fingers. CJ nods and sighs leaning into Reggie.