Chapter Thirty-One ~ A Night to Remember

"I can't believe that I let you talk me into this

"I can't believe that I let you talk me into this." CJ groans as she walks into school with Reggie. "You were born to be in a musical. Besides we both know that Kevin and Cheryl would talk you into it if I didn't." Reggie tells her. "Fine, I'm running late so I'll catch you after rehearsal." CJ concedes giving Reggie a quick kiss before running off to the auditorium. Walking in she finds everyone already there "Hey, sorry I'm late Kev. My alarm didn't go off this morning." she tells her friend. "No problem CJ. We are just going through introductions." Kevin responds, CJ nods and smiles as she sits between Cheryl and Midge. "I'm Cheryl Blossom, playing the iconic role of Carrie White." Cheryl says standing up with a smile. "Tone deaf." Josie coughs making CJ glare at her as Cheryl sits down. "Who's playing your mom? Margaret White." Betty asks. "I am." Alice says walking in the room. "Ah!" Kevin smiles. "Mom?" Betty asks. "Wait, seriously?" Ethel asks. "Settle down. Yes, it's untraditional but to me, there's nothing more amateur than age-inappropriate casting." Kevin tells the group. "I'm really looking forward to getting to know who this woman is, you know, get under her skin. And, of course, to spend some quality time with my daughter, Elizabeth." Alice says smiling at her daughter. "Uh, sorry. I thought rehearsals were in the Music Room." Chuck says walking onto the stage. CJ freezes and looks at Kevin while Jughead and Archie glare at Chuck. "No problem. All are welcome here." Kevin says as Cheryl takes CJ's hand in hers.

CJ sits on the edge of the stage when Midge joins her "I'm glad you decided to be in the musical." Midge tells her. "I just hope it doesn't back fire on me." CJ shrugs. "You will do amazing. I know it." Midge assures her making CJ smile. "Thanks Midge." CJ tells her. "I can't believe that Cheryl agreed to spilt Carrie's part with you." Midge comments. "When she found out that I was auditioning she decided that we'd both play Carrie, swapping each evening. She knows I struggle with stage fright." CJ explains. Midge nods and stands "Come on, we have fifteen minutes til rehearsal starts again. Let's go find our men." she tells CJ. Laughing CJ stands up and follows her friend out to the corridor and to the field where Reggie and Moose are stood with some of the football team. "How's my amazing, talented girlfriend?" Reggie asks kissing her. "Annoyed that her handsome, athletic boyfriend convinced her to do the musical." CJ smiles. "We've been over this, you will be amazing. Besides this way I get to show everyone that I'm right about your singing voice." Reggie assures her. Blushing CJ leans into him "You're still annoying." she grumbles. Reggie laughs "Sure thing baby." he responds. Midge walks over with Moose "You told him yet?" she asks CJ. "No. Chuck is in the musical." CJ says. Reggie frowns "He's what?" he asks. "Apparently 'All are welcome' according to Kevin." CJ explains. "He tries anything..." Reggie starts. "I'll come find you." CJ assures him.

CJ sits with Midge in the auditorium as rehearsals start again "Okay. Act one, scene one." Kevin says. "Actually... Before we begin... I've heard whisperings that some of you ensemble vultures don't think I'm fit to play or sing... The role of Carrie White. So, to settle this matter once and for all... Maestro?" Cheryl says. "Okay, uh, Cheryl..." Kevin tries. "That's not my name! I'd hear that word Sounding so sweet Thousands of voices forever repeating Carrie, Carrie, Carrie I am the sound of distant thunder That color, a flame! I'm Carrie! I am a song of endless wonder That no one will claim But someday Oh, my, someday! Someone will know My name!" Cheryl sings. Everyone applauds "Wow. I think I speak for everyone when I say that was undeniable, Cheryl." Kevin tells her. Cheryl goes to sit down but there is a sudden crack and a sandbag drops where Cheryl was about to step; Cheryl screams in fright as everyone gasps in shock. CJ jumps up and goes over to Cheryl "Are you alright?" she asks her friend. "Yeah, yeah, I'm alright." Cheryl responds.