Chapter Eight ~ The Outsiders

CJ sits watching Jughead and Archie watching play video games

CJ sits watching Jughead and Archie watching play video games. "Gotta stop blowing me up." Jughead complains making CJ laugh. "You're going the wrong way." Archie retorts. CJ chuckles and carries on drawing in her sketch book. "You're going-- Left." "What are you doing?" "Come on! You're the one who keeps accidentally killing me." "War is hell, Jug." "No, Archie, hell is other people." CJ chucks a pencil at him making Archie laugh. Fred opens the door "Hey, guys. It's getting pretty late-- Whoa. It's ripe in here. Somebody wanna open the window?" he asks. "Tell me about it." CJ laughs. "I got it." Archie tells his dad leaning over CJ and opening the aindow. "You settling in, Jug? CJ?" Fred asks. "Oh, completely. It's like Archie and I are just roommates in a college dorm. CJ is our neighbour who spends more time in here then her own dorm." Jughead laughs. "Oh, great. What does that make me, the RA?" "No, you're the fourth roommate." Archie tells his dad. "All right, guys. I got a big day tomorrow." "Breaking ground on the SoDale project, right?" CJ asks. "Yeah. Indeed we are. Sorry. I know that's kind of a sore spot with you two, about the drive-in." "As long as you build something beautiful in its place." "I don't know about beautiful, but, uh, it's gonna be big. Night, guys." "Night, Dad." "Night Fred." CJ looks at the boys. "I'm off now. Night boys love you both." she says kissing their cheeks. "Night CJ."

The next morning CJ sits on Reggie's lap in the common room, talking to the group and Cheryl

The next morning CJ sits on Reggie's lap in the common room, talking to the group and Cheryl. "Polly's convinced herself that no one wants her baby." Betty tells them all. "Besides, of course, the child-snatching Blossom monsters. No offense, Cheryl." Kevin adds the last bit after noticing Cheryl's face. "None taken." she tells him. So your mom and dad want Polly but not the baby and the Blossoms want the baby and not Polly. It's a true Gordian knot." Veronica comments. "It's an impossible situation." tells her friends putting her head in her hands.

"Betty, come on. An impossible situation is being invited to the Vanity Flair Oscar party and Elton John's Oscar party on the same night which happened to me one year. I know. This is merely an annoying situation. But luckily, I have been percolating on an idea, hellishly simple in its conception. What if my mom and I were to host a baby shower?" Veronica enquires. "Count me in." CJ pipes up from her sketching. "You want Polly to feel loved and supported." Veronica smiles. "Yeah, but ideally by her own parents." Betty tells her. "Okay, so baby steps, girl. Get Polly and your parents in the same room, in a public setting where they can't fight and voilá, let the healing begin." Veronica explains to Betty. "Am I expected to come to this thing?" Jughead asks. "Of course. You're Betty's boyfriend, so.... Oh, my God, you guys, relax. It's just a word that starts with the letter B." Veronica tells them. "Yeah like Bollocks. I prefer calling Jug that." CJ smiles at her brother as he throws a bit of paper at her. "Betty, what do you say?" CJ asks. "Elizabeth Cooper." they suddenly hear from the doorway. "Mom?" "I need you and you. Right now." Mrs Cooper tells Betty and Veronica pointing at them both.