Legolasxreader- Stone and Flowers (soulmate AU)

A/N: I got the idea for this oneshot from this prompt off Pinterest (🔝)

Warning: I have no idea where I was going with this...
______________

There's a statue in the middle of Mirkwood Forest, of an elleth so enchanting that her beauty could rival that of Luthien. Legend tells of how she will come to life at the touch of her soulmate. But only if he sings the right song will it release her from the spell.

Many ellyn came to sing of her beauty, and touch the statue to see if they would be the one to be stuck with such a gorgeous creature for eternity. It never worked. That is until Legolas, who could not stand to be indoors, decided to leave the halls of his father to go sing the forest.

The melody he sang was haunting and filled with sadness. It called his people from the sea, and back into the woods they once adored. It begged them not to forget forget the good which which still exists in ennor.

While he was lost in song, he paid no attention to where he was going and absentmindedly brushed his fingers against the arm of the statue as the song ended. With reflexes that only an elf could have, he caught the stone statue in his arms as it fell. But instead of cold, harsh stone crushing his fingers, a beautiful elleth lie asleep in his arms.

Acutely aware of how the songs told of how many people would try to take advantage of her, he brought her to his rooms undetected, where she would be safe from harm or prying eyes.

He gently placed her in his bed and tucked her in, stroking her face before realizing how ridiculous that is. He withdrew, and awkwardly moved to stand watch over her. Also quickly becoming aware of how creepy it would be to wake up with a stranger staring at you. So, to occupy himself he decided to draw. It started out as a face. Then to his surprise, it turned out to be your face.

Annoyed with himself, he decided he wanted to rest. The only problem was that he couldn't go and sleep in the the trees, because he needs to watch her, and the next best thing is to sleep next to the achingly beautiful creature currently inhabiting his bed. As a semi compromise, Legolas decided to nestle himself into the branch shaped poster at the foot of his bed and watch her as she sleeps

* * * * * *

You slowly becomes aware of a weight pressing down on you as you painfully drift into consciousness. You will yourself to pick your heavy head up, only to see the form of a man resting his blond head atop your feet.

You kick his hand that was blocking your view of his face, causing it to harshly smash into his nose. Legolas quickly jerks himself into a sitting position as he rubs his sore nose, looking at you with pain and confusion.

Your heart feels odd as it flutters at the sight of him. He has a beautiful and kind face, and it seems like he doesn't hold a grudge against you for kicking him. But even the prettiest people can be cruelest.

'But I can't live alone again.' You think to yourself. 'There might be another troll raid, or that witch might come back... Oh please not her again!' Your thoughts suddenly switched to someone else; 'Why is he staring at me? Is he going to say something? Why is he staring at me? Say something say something...'

"H-hi." You suppress a whimper,

'Why was my voice so quiet? He is handsome... why is he staring at me like that? What do I do damned it...'

"Hello." His voice was soft and sweet.

'Let's have some fun.' You think mischievously. 'Let's ask him THE question.'

"Who are you?" You ask.

"Legolas." Is his simple response.

'That tells me nothing.' You think. "Who are you?" You ask. Again.

He took a deep breath, and began in a tone that oozed with authority and practiced pride. "I am son of the Great Elvenking Thranduil. Legolas Greenleaf, Protector of the Wood. First in line to the throne of Eryn Galen."

"But I want to know who you are? Not what. Fancy titles though."

'Why can no one ever get the question right the first time? Is that why the witch cursed me? 'Cause she got it wrong?' You wonder, 'Still good to know he's— WHY IS HE SMILING?!'

"Who am I?" His voice sounded haughty and amused, "I am one who loves the trees and the stars. Someone who wants to run in the woods, and swim in the river all day. Someone who would love nothing more than to forget the protocols of court, and dance the wild dances of the trees and Silvans."

Legolas' P.O.V.

By the time I stopped talking her eyes were dewy— on the verge of tears. Now I feel awful, that's definitely not what she wants... could she still accept me? Maybe...

"I'm sorry, I know thats probably not what you want from your soulmate. You probably want someone who would rather give you jewels, not simple little flowers..."

She only stares at me with a blank expression. Is it disbelief? Calculation? I don't know. What I do know  is that it's unnerving, and I wish she'd stop it.

Suddenly she crashes into my chest as rivers flow from her eyes. My heart brakes. I knew I couldn't be enough. But why does it hurt so much? I just met her for goodness sakes!

I apologize for my simpleness as I move her onto to my lap. My heart begins to ache as the waves of sadness continue to splash over it, as her tears keep coming. Am I that much of a disappointment?

"They're perfect." She murmurs while hiccuping.

"What- what is?" I ask nervously.

"The flowers."