( eight ) the detective

THE DETECTIVE
' i hope you both die in hell '

Five pushed all the debris out of the way, trying to get to the center of the broken down greenhouse

Five pushed all the debris out of the way, trying to get to the center of the broken down greenhouse. He was at this for hours, wanting to see if his friend's coffin would still be intact.

When he finally found it, he immediately opened it to see that it was completely empty. "F-Five?"

The boy's eyes widen as he quickly turns around. Reese appears from the shadows, looking sickly and pale. She starts to have a coughing pit, causing Five to quickly rush over to her side and steady her.

"Five, is this really you? Am I dreaming?"

"Yeah, it's really me Reese."

"W-whats going on? What happened?"

"You-you don't remember?" Five asks the girl, she shakes her head as she looks around.

"Is this the academy?" Reese coughs, her hands shooting up to her mouth at the sight of her best friend's corpse. "Diego? What-"

"Reese, look at me, don't look at them," Five says, gently cupping the girl's face and turning her head back to him, "what is the last thing you remember?"

"I was packing up my things to go live with my brother and his family and then-"

"Then what?"

"I... don't remember." Reese says, her eyes falling, a single black tear falling from her cheek. "Did-Did I do this? Was I the cause of all of this?"

"No, theres no way." Five says, wiping away the girl's tear with his thumb as she starts to cough again. "Come on, let's get you away from all this smoke."

"Five," Reese wraps her arms around the boy, stuffing her facing into his chest, "i'm scared."

"Yeah, me too."

"Five, i'm only holding you back. You would be so much farther by now if it weren't for me." Reese says, black tears falling from her face, though it didn't seem to be affecting the boy in front of her.

"No, Reese-"

The girl starts to have a long, painful coughing fit before spitting out a bit of blood. "I'm already dying, Five." Reese says, wiping her mouth with her sleeve.

"We'll figure something out."

"That's what you said last year when you found me." Reese says with a sigh, reaching up to her neck. "You may still have a chance to survive and I can't hold you back anymore."

"You're not holding me back, Reese." Five says, making the girl squeeze her eyes shut as she unclasps her necklace. "If anything, you are the only thing keeping me alive."