x

― ALVARA

WHAT WAS HER NAME AGAIN? EBI? Good Lord, wasn't that shrimp sushi?

It's Aki, you dipshit. "I - I was just, well he looked like he was in a lot of pain -" I blabber.

Aki blinks, wide eyes luminous. "I wasn't aware you knew where he was going to be. It took me ages to find him."

"I-I didn't! Well, it's a long story, you see -" I stammer, putting down the needle before realizing it still had thread attached to it. Quickly I snip off the string and set down the needle. I glance at Kaiser's back. Two down, at least ten more to go. Some of the gashes overlapped, which was going to be a problem.

I realize Remi's friend is still waiting for an answer and my mind whirls frantically as I search for something to say. Why the hell am I so nervous? Is it because I've just been caught helping a man I've sworn to hate? Or is it because there's something about Aki that makes me want to bow down and confess all my sins?

"It's okay, I'll just leave the stuff here and leave," she says quietly. Aki puts down the supplies she gathered next to the measly gauze I had scavenged in Kaiser's room.

I stand up quickly, nearly hitting her forehead in the process. "No, you can do this. You probably know him a lot better than me -"

Aki watches me carefully, dark eyes probing. It's only then do I realize she's absolutely gorgeous. Her dark skin is smooth and unblemished, like glass. Her dreads are gathered to the side and woven with tiny beads. She looks delicate and faerie-like in a puffy off-the-shoulder top that reveals her dainty shoulders. I didn't know shoulders could look feminine, but here I am.

"He kissed you in prison, didn't he?"

I nearly swallow my own tongue. "No, he didn't, it was all staged. Remi forced him to make it look like we were together because - well, I have no idea, she won't tell me. Nothing happened," I add vehemently when Aki looks unconvinced. "Nothing."

When she continues to examine me, I realize she considers me competition. Does she think I fancy her Kaiser?

"Look, I hate his guts. I want to shoot him in the head," I say matter-of-factly, before realizing that was probably... also not the right thing to say. "He's all yours."

I brush my borrowed miniskirt lightly and stand up. I give Aki a feeble smile before leaving. I wasn't about to make another enemy in this prison.

I pace the empty hallways, before standing in front of a portrait of a beautiful brown-skinned woman, who looked an awful lot like Remi. I'm unable to focus, and my vision blurs. My heartbeat thrums loudly in my ears, and my face feels hot to the touch. 

What the hell was that?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

― REMI

"YOU CALLED, PAPÁ?" I ASK QUIETLY.

Papá takes a slow drag out of his cigar. He tilts his head back and watches me beneath heavy-lidded eyes.

His office smells like blood again.

I used to wonder what it meant - why it almost always occurred right after his 'lessons' with Kaiser. Now, I knew.

He takes my face with one gnarled hand and tilts my head to the side.