Moon's Mattress Kingdom [Auslly]

This is by H.dollz

"I'm bored."

"I know."

I guessed he would. I had said it about fifteen times in the last hour. Also, the entire top half of my body was slumped over the sales counter. We had been at his parents' store for almost two hours now.

Moons Mattress Kingdom.

It was as boring as it sounded.

It was exactly what the name suggested, mattress after mattress. The mattresses were on beds, of course, and the beds were made up all fancy, the way no one did them in real life. Still, they looked pretty.

Austin was lying on one of the most neatly-made beds, on his back, despite the several severe warnings from his parents not to so much as sit on them. He was crumpling the smooth fabric, and he didn't seem to care. To be honest, I didn't care, either. I had tried telling him to sit on a chair instead, and he had refused, and I had given up.

"This is cruel and unusual punishment." He grumbled, rolling into his stomach, propping himself up on his elbows so he was facing me. I shrugged.

"You're the one who wanted to try to barbecue a steak inside your parents house." I reminded him. He glared.

"I remember."

I shrugged.

The incident with the barbecue had happened three weeks ago. After the firemen had hosed down the flames, they had scolded Mike and Mimi for being careless parents, which was hard on them because they're pretty much obsessive over Austin.

Anyway, he'd gotten grounded for four weeks, and on top of that, had to work at the Mattress Kingdom four days every week. To say Austin was taking it badly would be an understatement.

"Kill me," he moaned, his head in his hands.

"Drama queen."

He glared. He'd been glaring a lot, throughout the duration of his grounding. I would have felt bad for him if it wasn't so funny.

I stayed and kept him company while he watched the shop most days. I knew he was grateful, even though he was too angry to say it.

"We could sneak out," he suggested for the hundredth time.

"You'll get caught." I assured him.

He sighed, rolling onto his back again. "I know..."

"You're really depressed, huh?"

"You have no idea."

There was another silence. There were many of those lately, but this time, he held my gaze until my cheeks heated up and I looked away.

"How long till five?" He asked. I could hear the smile in his voice. It was a change; at least he was smiling.

I looked at the clock. "Fifty minutes left."

He groaned.

We were silent for a while longer. I stayed at the counter, and he stayed on the bed. The store was empty, like it had been every single day since we started working here. The Mattress Kingdom was going downhill.

"Thank you, Ally." His voice was a whisper.

I looked at him, shocked. "For what?"

"For staying with me, here."

I shrugged it off. "It's no big d-"

"It is. Even when Dez and Trish couldn't be here, or made excuses... You stayed. I don't know what I would've done if you didn't. Thank you."